What's new

Noobie Who Knows NOTHING!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, I am a noobie. I hate when my cigars go bad and I was looking into getting a humidor. Can someone please explain what I should be looking for when getting one. Like I see just plain boxes, gels, crystals, and tons of other things. What do I need in order to start out? Please help

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I would recommend a tupperware container, cedar planks, and some Boveda 2-way humidity packs.
And the size you think is appropriate, buy 2x as big.
In mine I have 6 cedar planks, 2 Boveda 65% packs, a hygrometer that cost $10 at Lowes, and around 65 or so cigars.
Here's a pic:

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I remember when Mr drained was down to 5 sticks lol check out the field box at Wal-Mart in hunting it's like a plastic ammo box 8$ works great air right seal and get some bovedas and ur set! Welcome to botl
Hahaha, yeah man. That thing filled up QUICK!
Hey, aren't you supposed to be busy today or something??

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
^^ What these guys said. Something I wish someone would have told me when I started (I wasn't on here yet)- don't waste cash on a humidor. I just set up a 120 quart coolerdor for cheaper than I bought my first small desktop humidor. Tupperdors are great, you can easily set one up the right way for under $30.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As I said, I am a noobie. I hate when my cigars go bad and I was looking into getting a humidor. Can someone please explain what I should be looking for when getting one. Like I see just plain boxes, gels, crystals, and tons of other things. What do I need in order to start out? Please help
Yeah many newbs start with online cheap chinese humidors. The reason why this is a mistake is because the actual box part is press wood lined with thin layers of cedar. The big problem here (many people probably do not know) is that press wood releases poisonous VOC (Volatile organic compounds) vapors. These will soak right into your cigars. It is the same kind of press wood found in most cheap furniture. I also recommend small. med, or large air tight coolers. Where I live you can get a rather large air tight cooler for like $20. If you already have a nice cooler laying around and it is not being used much try that. I prefer a cooler because it keeps the light out.

Get a few humidifiers and a hygrometer (digital preferred). Mr. Draned has the proper setup. Even if you go to many cigar review on youtube you will find long time smokers use coolers as well. Some people will get fancy (cabinets and such) and that is preference. Better to spend the bigger bux on the actual cigars at first. As far as cigars go try lots of different sampler packs. First try several different brands and blend packs. If you like a certain blend then maybe try a sampler of different sizes in that blend. Do not go crazy or you will have a ton of smokes you will only be wasting space with. Take your time on the cigars. More does not = better (unless you find a box of your favs on a killer deal). Go to the local shop and if you like a certain wrapper or flavor profile ask the guy that runs it for suggestions. Get 4-5 sticks that way and do your own ratings and then go from there. You can also get killer sampler deals all over the internet and from BOTL.org ads/coupons :joyful: In the newbie trade thread you can do a cash deal with a vet sponsor if you do not have anything to trade. I am sure you can get hooked up there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All the foregoing is excellent advice. I would toss in that depending on your weather and cash flow, you may want to look into a wineador. I could've saved much needed cigar $$ if I'd gone with one to begin with instead of fighting 3 wooden humis for so long. If you hang around this site, you're going to grow out of whatever storage you go with- mere fact of life at BOTL...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Everyone who's been sharing above me are all valid choices and routes to go. BUT being that you're totally brand new to cigar smoking I'd recommend to start out with a small desktop humidor and go from there. Some of the big name cigar websites sell combo packs with everything you need to get started, oh and cigars too. I know for a fact cigarsinternational.com sells combo packs. I'm sure Small Batch, Famous Smoke and others also might be doing something similar too. IMHO, worth it to pay a little more now and spend some more money on your cigars and then only to find out their ruined because you have a knockoff or really junky humidor that failed you. It's a labor of love to take care of your humidors. I check my humidor at least 2x a day and make sure I have adequate humidity and everything going smooth.

Welcome to the forum and this slippery slope of cigar smoking.....

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
How unfortunate :nailbiting: I have a feeling that some of your problems will be solved with reckless posts like this (y)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey noob, all the advice above is very sound. I suggest starting with a tupperdor. You will learn about humidity, long-term storage, and the way cigars interact with humidification devices. Not only that, but you'll do it cheaply. You need a couple things to start:
1) A suitable sized piece of tupperware
2) A hygrometer, which you will learn to calibrate (Accurite are good too, and require no calibration.)
3) A humidification device. Best to start with Boveda packs (65-72 packs are best)
4) Cedar sheets, easily obtained at local B&M
5) Cigars. Start with about 20-40 cigars. Get them smoking real well, and then add more to your collection
6) Patience, and lots of it. Lol!

Here's what my tupperdors turned out like:

The whole set-up for one of these was around $35. With just Boveda packs thrown into this system, it would be cheaper. Hope this helps. And good luck. Post pictures as you go along.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^^!!! This is far and away the best start up for any newby. Pick the largest "snap-lock" tupper you can find, wash it out with dist.water and white vinegar; 1 part vin. to 4pts. water, and let it dry. Add a few pieces of aromatic Spanish cedar and a 69% Boveda and when your HygrosetII or Calibre IV reads 69%, add your sticks. Once you start to grow out of it (and you will!) either get another or look into a wineador. (Many threads on this topic.) Even if you don't have to worry about cooling (lucky you!) they still provide the very best air-tight, long term storage solution. (y)
*Edited to add: Many of us find that our cigars perform best at 62 to 65% humidity. Cigars take some little while to adjust to a sudden change in humidity, so even if you live in a rain forest or the Saraha, taking it out to smoke ain't going to matter if its been stored at these levels. Good luck!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Many of us find that our cigars perform best at 62 to 65% humidity. Cigars take some little while to adjust to a sudden change in humidity, so even if you live in a rain forest or the Saraha, taking it out to smoke ain't going to matter if its been stored at these levels.
This! ^^^

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No offense but I would steer clear of the glass tops. I know being new to the hobby you want to get something nice to store your cigars in, but this unit will let you down in the long run. I too would recommend a Tupperware container to start. If you decide that you still want a desktop humidor, look for a high quality model. Worst case scenario is you want something bigger and you can use the Tupperware to carry your lunch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would steer clear of cheap humidors dot com all together. I ordered a humidor from them a few years back and on the whole was an abortion of an experience. I got a humidor that was (based on the condition and number of shipping labels on the box) shipped to mulitple people and returned by multiple people. This damn thing had freaking hand prints all over it.....sealed under the freaking polyeurethane. Crissakes it looked bad. The whole return process was worse than their horrific customer service.

Buyer beware when dealing with those people.

I recommend picking up a plastic or new ammo can style of box from a joint like Bass Pro or Tractor Supply. Air tight seal, grab a boveda pack and boom goes the dynamite.

T