What's new

OK, guys, help me decide, humidor , now with pics

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
so I finally had some time to start my humidor. now some of you know it will be a cooled cabinet and I talked to RonC about how much insulation I need. he suggested about 1.5-2 inches.
so I was planning on using 3 layers of 1/2" insulation, great.
the inside dimensions of the cabinet will be about 20" deep, 60" tall and 36" wide. adding 2 layers of 1/2" ply and 1 1/2" of trim(the walls are very much built like hollow core doors to fit the foam)
let me give you an example of one of the side walls: size, 65"x24"
so 1/2 ply, 3 layers of 1/2 ply, 2" wide strips to build up the space for the insulation and another layer of 1/2 ply. so, total thickness of 2.5 inches before the veneer, add another 1/8" of zebrawood on the outside and 1/4" of spanish cedar on the inside. so we are just a tad over 3 inches on all walls.

now I want you to close your eyes and just picture

THE DAMN WEIGHT OF EACH OF THOSE WALLS, 2 SIDES, BOTTOM, TOP AND BACK!!!!!

so I gots thinking that I am overbuilding like crazy, I mean my cigars would love it because the cabinet would hold the temperature perfect. but I think I would never be able to move the cabinet.

so I was thinking of chucking the pieces, yes I have all the walls built, but it's only 200 bucks worth of plywood so no big deal. but what if I slim it down to 3/8" ply instead of 1/2" and instead of 1 1/2" only do 1/2-1" insulation. so the walls would be only about 2" thick instead of 3 1/8 and the weight would be also a lot better.

I just cant decide. visually, the piece wouldn't look that much different, yes thicker on the walls, but that's only 1" which I would make up on the face frame anyway, so really, the only think I would gain is 30% lighter.
my house doesn't get THAT hot, but I know my cigars would be just in heaven.

so let it rip, gimme your input. before I keep going on this.
I might even just save the back wall and just redo the rest. it'll only take me one afternoon.

after that I get the zebra wood and get to cut veneer, yayyyy

here a few pics

and just a reminder

spanish cedar, over 100 board feet

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Yeah i might use a thinner piece of ply but the insulation doesnt weigh much so i dont think you really have to cut that down. I think no matter what you do it will be heavy. good luck

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
add another 1/8" of zebrawood on the outside
Since you've started this process I've been waiting to hear what your wood choice is. Dude, I can't believe you're going with Zebra, that's gonna be insane and I can't wait to see it. You Sir will absolutely have a one of a kind.

Now to your original question, I have to go with Rigil on this one, use the thinner ply and keep the 2" of insulation. The weight difference between 1" and 2" is gonna be so minor that it won't make a difference in weight, but it will in what it's intended for.

Sascha, I can't wait to see the progress pics. But more importantly, how's the girlfriend doing?

Wade

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yeah, you guys are kinda confirming what i was thinking.
it's not so much the foam, but the strips of plywood to build up that 1 1/2" that also weighs a lot, so if i use 3/8" ply for the skin, I am really not saving much weight. either way this will be a beast.

I have 2 cooling units, damn I am so excited.

Jill is doing great, she is already scheduled for her last surgery and will be as good as new once she is healed.

unfortunatly, out relationship problems we had before all this happened, also came back, now that she is better so we will have to see how we are doing once she is perfect again.

life is weird sometimes.

but in the meantime, I can't wait to get nice zebra wood, , the face frames and doors will be cherry

SGT13

No one gets out alive
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dont' even worry about the weight. Do you own a gun safe? If you can move that you can move anything. Take care of the smokes and make it pretty.
Sarge :riflefire:

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
knowing nothing about wood work, doesn't plywood warp with long-term humidity?
Actually, next to MDF , plywood is what's called a stable substrate without its own wood movement ,

And the humidity level is not that crazy anyway.

So yeah, I just leave it as is, a bigass cigar safe!!!!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Actually, next to MDF , plywood is what's called a stable substrate without its own wood movement ,

And the humidity level is not that crazy anyway.
I not sure why people get concerned about humidity? 70% is not high as sascha stated.

Not only that, but in theory, the humidity level for a humidor should be stable. It's the fluctuation in humidity that is hard on wood furniture.

I can't wait to see your progress sascha. I just started another ice chest conversion for a buddy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no humidor maker, but i thought the concern with the humidity was having it being different on one side from the other which can cause the stress on the wood if not built properly.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Nice looking dog! Coming along nicely buddy, can't wait to see more progression, keep them coming. I'm still blown away you're going with Zebra!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sascha,
Looks like you have fun project at hand. I am guestimating the overall volume of the humidor based on the pics & dimensions posted. With twin coolers (160 watts), you may want to stay with 1 1/2" insulation on all sides & 1" on the door panels in order to get a reasonable temperature drop.

Ideally the max delta T should be at least twice the average required temperature drop. Have fun with it. A zebra wood exterior will be unique.

Cheers,
Bob Staebell