What's new

Please help with lowering humidity in Hawaii

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hi folks,
New member here and I've been doing some reading but still can't figure out the best way to fix my problem other than buying a better humidor.

My humidity problem started with me buying a poor humidor, my fault but I'm trying to deal with it. I purchased a cheap cabinet humidor with 3 shelves and glass on all 4 sides. My first problem was that it had no seal at all so I tried the weather strip and didn't work, too fat. I ended up applying layers and layers of electrical tape until all 4 sides pass the dollar bill test so seals are now good...well, better.

Here is my problem.

It is so humid in Honolulu it rarely goes below 70's and once I put any humidifier in there it shoots into the 80's within a day. So far I tried the stock sponge ones that came with the humidor, crystal gels, and most recently humi-care eh plus. I guess any active type of humidifier is a bad idea so I ordered some 65 beads hoping it would reduce the humidity.

Here is my plan so far, please send me your opinions.

1. Replace the green foam thing in the humi-care tank with heartfelt beads so I can still utilize the unit with 2 additional fans placed on the bottom blowing up to circulate the air inside the humidor. I noticed the fan on the unit actually blows inwards in to the unit so I plan to leave the beads dry in the humi-care unit since I'll be battling the high humidity most of the time.
2. Place whatever is left from 1/2lb of beads after filling up the humi-care tank with DW below the fans on the bottom shelf.

Should I be running the fans at all time or have it go on whenever the unit fan kicks in? I think I'll have the humi-care to start blowing at 68.

Thanks in advance and aloha
-hawaiian

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yeah get rid of the foam thing. You will most likely need to get some 60% beads, and put them in there totally dry. As they turn clear, you know they have absorbed humidity and are becoming saturated. When 75% of the beads are clear you will need to place the beads in your refrigerator to get the water out of the beads. it might be worth while to have 2 sets of beads. one for the humi and one for the fridge. then swap them once a week or so.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Beads as is suggested but if you need the RH to get down quickly within a few hours time use those silica beads that you find with your new shoe purchases...inside your medicines,,etc. A few of those in your humidor will take your RH down in a hurry. You can also put new beads inside but do not charge them with DW...just let em sit and they will take RH from the inside of your humidor.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
I guess moving is out of the question? :headroll:

It sounds like you've got some great advice based on the posts above! :thumbsup:

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My RH went up to mid 70s here a few months back. I got gifted some of this and with in 2 days it was dead on at 65%... Im not sure how its going to do in the summer, but it deffinately helped with the influx of humidity

Make sure to get the crystals, not the "dust". I would just put a tray/bowl of it in the humi and watch the RH drop.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I did order some 65% heartfelt beads earlier this week and waiting sucks, haha. I read some great things about Shilala also maybe I'll give it a shot if the beads doesn't work out.

Mahalo!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You may also have seepage along the edges of the glass. Clear caulk or water sealant around the borders may help and will not ruin the look of the piece. It works best in places where glass connects to glass.I have read some brothers use painter's tape and other types of sealant when they have problems with seal around glass which I think may be contributing to your humidification issue. This may be the case since you describe the humi to have a great deal of glass. Best of luck.