What's new

Plume...Bloom...Do you have it?

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
How long does Plume take to appear?

I have had some cigars for 2+ years, but I have never seen plume on them. I try not to handle them. My humi is always at 70/70 except for the summer time it has gotten as hot as 85 degrees in the house for those 3 month, but the Humi always remains 70 Humidity.

If cigars are laid right on top of one another four high, will that effect plume growth?

I also here it is only the dark oily smokes that normally grow plume.

What do you know about it?

How many of you have plume on their cigars?

BrandonJ

I <3 Eric.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Seriously though...

I have seen it appear in as little as a year, but you have to hold it into the light to see it, its like tiny little crystals.. While mold looks like little fuzzies that feather out.. Its the oils crystalizing in a perfectly controlled environment leaving the cigars undisturbed..

You're right its usually the dark cigars as they contain the most oils...

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Most of my cigars do not have any plume. The cigars that seem to get it, and quickly, are the VSG's. I had them for around 6 months when I first noticed. I guess it all depends on the cigar and the amount of oil, or the wrapper type maybe.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
You'll need a cigar with an oily wrapper, and a few more years. Also if you handle your cigars very often, to rearrange or just to take stock, you may wipe any beginnings of plume off. Not that you need plume to make the cigar taste better, it is just a sign that the cigar has been well stored and aged. I have a whole box of AZ robustos that are near 10 years old. They are covered in plume, and still taste like crap. You can't make chicken salad from chicken shit.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I had a La Aurora Preferido Maduro (Red Tubo) covered in plume with less than five months of aging.

But then again, I had an Alec Bradley Maxx that took over a year before it got plume on it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I had a La Aurora Preferido Maduro (Red Tubo) covered in plume with less than five months of aging.

But then again, I had an Alec Bradley Maxx that took over a year before it got plume on it.
Not that it couldn't have happened, but I'm going to take a guess and say if it was covered in plume at 5 months, that it was more likely covered in mold. Being it was a tubo, with less circulation than the rest of your humi, the environment in there is good for mold production. Like I said not that it couldn;t have been plume, but covered in 5 months.not likely.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not that it couldn't have happened, but I'm going to take a guess and say if it was covered in plume at 5 months, that it was more likely covered in mold. Being it was a tubo, with less circulation than the rest of your humi, the environment in there is good for mold production. Like I said not that it couldn;t have been plume, but covered in 5 months.not likely.
I'm sure it was plume. If it was mold -- it was still delicious!

By the by, I removed the tube.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started seeing just some touches of plume on some of my super oily sticks that have been sitting ~1 yr, 3 mo. But nothing to really speak home about, and they're just going to get smoked soon anyway, so I probably won't have much more to add on the plume subject.

I have seen some SERIOUS mold issues from a B&M in the Chicagoland area that I was told was plume. Needless to say, I didn't return any time soon, and that's been cleared up, thankfully.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You're right and not really right...Tubes can easily get plume if it goes from kinda hot to really cold in a short time span.

Get a tubed cigar and set it out in the sun for a half hour then chuck it in the freezer for a few days. All that's going on is the volatile oils in the wrapper are crystalizing.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Ok my first worry for you would be that your humi get up to 85 in the summer. That is bad juju when talking about beetles. They can hatch at those temps and ruin a whole humi. I would see about preventing the temp from getting up that high. Just my .02

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Ok my first worry for you would be that your humi get up to 85 in the summer. That is bad juju when talking about beetles. They can hatch at those temps and ruin a whole humi. I would see about preventing the temp from getting up that high. Just my .02
Um yeah, it's a good temp for mold production as well.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i had a half box of tat verocu easties that started pluming in about 8 months.

also had a bunch of Omar Ortez originals that plumed really well with lotsa gold speckles in less than a year.

here they are now...

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=34643"]BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]