What's new

Potato in humidor?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I was just doing some reading and came across an interesting quote from the CEO of Pacific Cigar Company, the exclusive distributor of Habanos in Asia.

He said:

While humidors are ideal for preserving cigars, Holmboe shares an alternative. “Use a plastic zip bag and a potato, that’s the cheapest option and works just fine.”

Have any of you heard of this before or better yet, tried it??? I'm very curious!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Is it the whole potato or one cut. All I know is a cut Potato will start to mold in couple of days. I wouldn't put them in my humi! :nono:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Never used it with a cigar, but a potato is a natural humidifier. If you have cookies that are too hard, you can stick them in a bag with a potato (or some bread) and they'll soften right up.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Never used it with a cigar, but a potato is a natural humidifier. If you have cookies that are too hard, you can stick them in a bag with a potato (or some bread) and they'll soften right up.
The bread trick is one of my favorites! You can also bake the cookies with some moist bread in the oven. They'll stay soft and chewy for days :drool:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The interview was with David Tang? Have met him a few times in Havana and he does not seem like the type to cut corners on storage. That said I do find that many on the habanos side of things with distributors and such tend to get a little desensetized to cigars in general. Just because most of the time they have access to anything they want at any time I guess.

Posted via Mobile Device

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The interview was with David Tang? Have met him a few times in Havana and he does not seem like the type to cut corners on storage. That said I do find that many on the habanos side of things with distributors and such tend to get a little desensetized to cigars in general. Just because most of the time they have access to anything they want at any time I guess.

Posted via Mobile Device
No, the interview was with their CEO Dag Holmboe. David Tang is the Founder and Chairman...

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see someone like Dag saying the use of a potato is just fine. btw, I have no intention of using a potato but thought it was interesting and I would be curious to try it with a few dog rockets if anything, just out of curiosity. LOL

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back in my youth I'd use some iceberg lettuce to moisten up a bag of the green that got a bit dried....or well I heard that works anyway.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Not seeing the complete artical Ihave to wonder if this is a temporary solution concept. I also agree with Gibble. We tend to think in terms of unlimited resources. Humidors, cigar caddies even tupperdores with beads or humi paks or water pillows to keep cigars. What do you do if you are without all those things and have a box of cigars to maintain?

I can remember a box of monte #2's that came into my possession a week before I would be home. A damp towel, three layers of drycleaning cover plastic and they were fine all the way across the country. A zip lock and a potato is a great answer if that is all you have.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Would this mean that you would have to worry about potato bugs, in addition to cigar beetles? :headroll:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Not seeing the complete artical Ihave to wonder if this is a temporary solution concept. I also agree with Gibble. We tend to think in terms of unlimited resources. Humidors, cigar caddies even tupperdores with beads or humi paks or water pillows to keep cigars. What do you do if you are without all those things and have a box of cigars to maintain?
I looked again and it does sound like he is talking short-term storage. Here's the paragraph with that quote:

"As CEO for the past 10 years, when asked what advice he may have for new cigar smokers, Holmboe doesn’t take a second thought. “Don’t inhale it, especially if you are a cigarette smoker.” One additional tip he offers: “If cigars are exposed to air conditioning they will disintegrate, unraveling within 48 hours,” he says. While humidors are ideal for preserving cigars, Holmboe shares an alternative. “Use a plastic zip bag and a potato, that’s the cheapest option and works just fine.” Smoke them as fast as you can.”

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
In case any one wants to know, wrapping a cigar in a napkin and putting it in you pocket in Las Vegas is a bad idea. 30 minutes tops. Gone.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
In case any one wants to know, wrapping a cigar in a napkin and putting it in you pocket in Las Vegas is a bad idea. 30 minutes tops. Gone.
It was probably due to the lap dance you were getting. You weren't using a 70 ring gauge to impress the dancers were you?

:hysterica

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This cigar tastes like cedar, leather, black pepper and.... French fries?

We'll need to start specifying if "I have a few Tats in my humidor." means Tatuajes or taters.