What's new

Presenting "The Uglydor"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since humidors are lined with spanish cedar, I thought why not just build one out of solid spanish cedar. Thus, the Uglydor was born. I found some one inch thick boards at a local wood store, sawed them to size. and rabeted, glued and screwed all joints. I ended up building two of them. They aren't pretty, but you could drop them off the roof of the house, and they wouldn't break. This may be overkill on the construction as I have yet to drop a humidor off the roof of the house. Better safe than sorry.

The first picture shows both Uglydors. The one on the left is the first one I made. The second picture shows the inside of the first Uglydor. The lid is plywood (I was afraid a spanish cedar lid might warp) with a spanish cedar insert that fits down inside the box. Yes, that is a CD container with big holes cut into it attached to the lid. Inside that is a panty hose sock full of Heartfelt beads. I put weather stripping along the top edge of the box to create a better seal.

The third picture shows the inside of Uglydor V2. I took a little more trouble making this one. The lid is spanish cedar (hasn't warped yet) with a border that fits inside the box. The three hockey pucks contain Heartfelt beads. I also made dividers for this box.

Both boxes are keeping a constant 65% humidity, so the seal must be good.

Tip from the workshop: Like that spanish cedar aroma? Suck up some spanish cedar sawdust into your shopvac. No matter how well you clean the filter afterwards, your shopvac will permeate the house with that smell whenever you turn it on from now on.

Attachments