What's new

Pretty sure this isn't right

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Hello all ... I'm in the process of seasoning a used humidor but I'm concerned the digital hygrometer is wrong. I did the initial rub down and soak yesterday and checked the hygrometer before I went to bed and it read 98% .... woke up this morning and its down to 89%. This can't be right can it? I live in Indiana so the humidity gets pretty rediculous in the summer but not now. Should i just go get a new digital bc this one is used? Or is this normal? I thought the humidity would start low and creep up not go the other way. Sorry for the stupid question but the local shop is closed today. Thanks in advance...

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
If you put it in when the walls were still damp it could be correct and the RH dropped once they started to dry out. Put some heartfelt beads in there and let is sit for several days and see if is stabilizes...

I am no expert but check around on BOTL and look at RonC's area. He is more the expert at RH. The link is below

Ask Ron

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I would test the hygrometer using a boveda packet or salt test. Humidity will drop when the cedar absorbs the water,

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If you are asking whether or not your hygro is correct, you've already skipped a step in setting up your humidor. :wink:

Check out this link on seasoning your humidor.

IMHO, probably the most important step to be honest. You must, must, MUST calibrate your hygrometer FIRST. Check your local B&M shops and see if they carry Boveda packs. You are looking for a One Step Calibration Kit, but if they only have regular Boveda packs, pick one up and throw it into a ziplock or very tight fitting (small) container with your hygrometer and leave it sit for 24-36 hours. Then you'll know how far off your hygro is and can figure out what kind of reading you are really getting.

As to if those readings could be correct, sure. Assuming you really wet down the inside of your humidor (I'll skip how I feel about that, lol) and you have a good seal on the humidor it's possible you could get a reading that high.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks for the input. The plan was to go to the local shop this afternoon for the Boveda packs but they're closed on Sunday. Guess that's on the agenda for Monday. Heading over to the intro section.

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just re seasoned mine. It took about 24 hours for the humidity to balance out. It only a 25 cigar humidor. If it's sealed right, and no humidity beads to take moisture out of the air that would seem normal

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the change for 98% down over a few days is what you want. This is all part of seasoning. Not so sure I like the wipe down method, but many have used it with no issues. I would think at this point, place a bowl of water in the humi until you get the boveda pack and calibrate your hygrometer. at that point you will be able to remove the bowl, and can check the RH once a day until it has dropped to 70% or so. At that point you can add the sticks and beads.