What's new

Problem seasoning with Heartfelt beads

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Fuente humidor from JR and have about a half a pound of 90% saturated Heartfelt beads (65%)in there for around 2 weeks. I have a calibrated hygrometer that has maxed out at 52% about 3 days ago. Is this a concern or do others find it takes a long time?

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
If the hygometer you have is not a digital. I would start there.

As for the bead content, you can check Heartfelt's site and they tell you how to calculate the amount of beads by the cubic inches of your humi.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I never considered actually seasoning a humi with the beads, but I'm not terribly patient. I personally use a thoroughly soaked new sponge with distilled water on a tupperware lid or something to keep the sponge from contacting the wood directly. A small dish of distilled water works as well. I add the beads when I add the cigars and remove the sponge.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hygometer you have is not a digital. I would start there.

As for the bead content, you can check Heartfelt's site and they tell you how to calculate the amount of beads by the cubic inches of your humi.
I have 3 digital hyrgrometers...all are calibrated. I also have 1/2 pound in a 100 cigar humidor which is more then enough. The seal on the humidor is excellent. My house consistently runs at 35% humidity in the winter but since the humidor is tightly sealed this shouldn't be a issue. Any thoughts?

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i would place i few bowls of water in the bottom and remove the beads for now. when seasoning its not uncommon to get the RH to the mid 80s just my .02

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
The humi needs more humidity, it's not properly seasoned yet. The wood is sucking all of the humidity out of the beads. Put a couple shot glasses or a bowl of distilled water in there and wait a few weeks. The humidity will come up by then and you can put the beads and smokes in there.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yeah I third putting in a container of water. The beads would do it, but it would take forever. They soak up most of the moisture, and only give off whats left.

You just want the wood to soak it up, then put the beads in and let it stabilize to 65% afterwards

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humi needs more humidity, it's not properly seasoned yet. The wood is sucking all of the humidity out of the beads. Put a couple shot glasses or a bowl of distilled water in there and wait a few weeks. The humidity will come up by then and you can put the beads and smokes in there.
I did put a small glass in there with water before. Maybe I will try a dish with more surface area. I'm just surprised it's taking so long as the humidor isn't that big. So if the wood is dry others have experienced it takes weeks to get the humidity up?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Honestly, with a glass or dish of water in there, two weeks should suffice...TYPICALLY. Got a link to, or picture of the humdior? Is it a glass top?

You really don't want the beads in there right now, IMO. They will only be working to stabilize the humdity at 65%, something you don't really want right now. Just a couple of shot glasses of distilled water, by themselves and monitor the humidty until it reaches the desired RH.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, with a glass or dish of water in there, two weeks should suffice...TYPICALLY. Got a link to, or picture of the humdior? Is it a glass top?

You really don't want the beads in there right now, IMO. They will only be working to stabilize the humdity at 65%, something you don't really want right now. Just a couple of shot glasses of distilled water, by themselves and monitor the humidty until it reaches the desired RH.

http://jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=accessories_detail&ItemCode=AFXHU&type=hum

Top notch Humidor IMHO.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped. I have never had an issue with a humidor. I don't see any issues with the seal and even after putting two dishes of distilled water I can't get above 55%. I think there is some type of evil moisture draining spanish cedar in there.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You don't still have the beads in there right? And I know you said your hygro is calibrated, but when did you calibrate? If the battery starts to go bad that can affect the reliability of the hygro.

Have you tried the flashlight test to confirm your seal?

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
patience is the key word!! The only other thing is to wipe the interior of the humi with a damp sponge to allow the interior to get some moisture. Then with the distilled water in small shot glasses or wet sponge on a tupperware lid, let the humidity do its thing over the course of a week or two. Its a slow process, but the beads won't help until the humi has stabilized. JMHO and how all my humis have been set up.

Now, I use beads and Boveda to help. Between the Bovedas and refreshing the beads at times, my humis are all locked in perfectly.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Let it sit, unless there is a bad leak, it will gain RH. Maybe the cedar is thick and needs to soak up more water.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 3 weeks. I Know I should have skipped putting the beads in first and just put in water but after 2 weeks you would think the beads by themselves would have saturated the cedar. The hygro is fine. It reads 62% in my other identical JR humidor which is the highest I can get it because I live up north where my RH hovers around 30%. Very strange as the lid has the same tight seal as the other one. I wonder if the factory lined it with mahogany instead of cedar.