What's new

Problem with Heartfelt beads

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys, i got a half pound of heartfelt beads in today and immediately wet them and put them in my humidor. I've probably got about 3/4 of the amount I received in a humidor that stores 60-70 cigars and I haven't seen the humidity get past 61% the whole day (i bought the 70% beads). With so many people talking these up I'm guessing that I've done something wrong.

I've got a digital hygro and the only thing I can guess might be an issue is that the hygro is at the bottom of the humidor while the beads are at the top. Maybe they need to get more circulation? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
First of all, don't panic. 61% is not a bad spot for your cigars. I actually like mine at a little bit above that (63-65%). The beads release humidity slowly into the air. The humidor and the cigars suck up the humidity if they are dry, which they often are after shipment anyway. Once the wood in the humidor and the cigars start getting to higher humidity levels you should see the humidity level rise. Heck, I bet it put the hygro right next to the beads you would see a different reading.

Give it a couple of days. If everything is dry you'll need to re-hydrate the beads after a few days or a week. If that's the case, you're fine. Dollars to donuts everything's fine.

Then again, it could be your hygro is off???:dunno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would salt test the hygrometer and see where it stands. I rarely ever see one one that is exactly on the money... also, is it a new humi? Has it been seasoned? If the cedar was not seasoned than it may need additional time to soak up humidity which will affect the reading for a few days... smokes should be fine though...

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
1) Is the humidor seasoned? If not, do a search for that here and there is a sticky/how-to for that. Humidors come "dry" and need to be humidified for days before they will hold the correct rH (unlike tupperware or coolers which are ready immediately).
2) Make sure the beads are wet enough. It says on the bag, but a certian % of them should be clear (I'll assume you bought enough to humidify the space you have)
3) Make sure the beads are in a container that allows easy airflow
4) If you only have a small humidor, then I'd expect the rH to hit the right level in like an hour or 2...if not, then do a calibration test on your hygrometer!
5) If it's still low, the you might have a major air leak in your humidor.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys! I did season the humidor for approximately a week. Perhaps I should have waited a little longer but if the humidor doesn't read near the correct humidity in a few days I will test it's accuracy. Thanks for all the great tips!

p.s. For the amount I paid for this humidor I'm going to pray that there aren't air leaks :lookaroun