What's new

Problem with humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humidor reads 76% humidity, is this too high to store my cigars. Also a few of my cigars seem to be getting soft is this because of age or the humidity being to high, the cigars are only a couple months old. Any help would be great.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
we'll need some more information mate. 76% is typically much higher than preferred for storage. What are you using to humidify the box? What kind of humi is it? How empty or full is it? Did you properly season/prepare the humidor before putting the smokes in?

Welcome to the forum, please stop by the introductions area and post there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. The guys at the cigar shop that i bought the humidor from seasoned it for me and i also bought a digital hygrometer. the humidor holds 50 cigars i have about 32 in it right now and i am using a brick style humidifier.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
1st, you need to calibrate the hygrometer. They are notorious for being inacurate. Once you know how it reads, you'll know if it is actuality 76%. maybe it reads 6% high.

However, google heartfelt beads and pick up the appropriate ammount for your humi. Then the hygro is just a pecaution, as the beads will regulate your RH for you. Very low maintance with the beads. The brick style hygro is old technology and is/was always hit and miss. Beads are the goods.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
is your humidfier one of those foam, or is it crystal type? What is the ambient humidity around the box, and does the humidor have a good seal? you have to remeber it takes time to create a perfect climate for your cigars to rest in. If your like me and really don't want to/like to fuss with your humidor go with the beads.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Yep, gotta calibrate the hygrometer. Fill a plastic bottle cap with salt. Add just enough water to completely wet the salt. No more. Place the cap and your hygro in a ziploc bag for at least 8 hours. The relative humidity inside the bag is now 75%. If your hygro reads 81%, it is 6% high. Hygrometers are inaccurate, in all cases, unless you paid several hundred dollars for it. Just do the math when you're done and you know what the deal is. After you've done all that, get the beads. They rule!