What's new

Problem with storage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello. I do have a problem with storage and I dont know what my next step is in order to remedy it. I have a 150 count humidor that is only about a 1/3 full. I have my Cuban Habanos on the top under the glass lid for display. The humidor is a Savoy. I have a total of 35 or 40 Cubans and 20 or so of them are Cohiba Robustos. About half of the Cohiba's have split at the very end of the cigar. No big splits either and they only appear at the very end of the cigar. Also, the ends of the Cohiba's appear to be a little swollen. I was thinking over-humidified but the Cuban RyJ's, Montecristos, and Hoyo's are all ok. My humidity is usually around 65-72% though I did have a month I didnt check on them and the humidity was below 60%. As I said, I don't believe the small splits will hurt the smokes but I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. Also, I believe just the outer wrapper is split. Can someone help? I posted this in a couple of places to make sure i get help quick! Do y'all keep your cigars stacked on top of each other without the plastic wrappers? Could this be a problem? Sorry for such a long post...I went in yesterday to grab a stick and almost got sick when I saw my Cohiba's. Thanks,
Jay

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Hello Jay. First thing is what type of hygrometer do you use? If its an analog (dial type), dont use it. Make sure that you are using a digital hygrometer. The better digitals can be had for about $25 with a calibration kit. Its the only way to go. That digital hygro will really tell you what is going on with your humidor.

My second suggestion is too buy yourself 4 Bovedas in whatever humidity level that you prefer. These are foolproof humidification.

Between the Bovedas and the digital, if your humidity level is not where you want it too be, then the blame has to be on the humidor or cigars themselves.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron, thanks for the reply. i have been using 2 different hydro's...a digital and analog and both read within .5 % of each other. I use a small Madelaine humidier and the larger black plastic one that came with it. i think I'm going to get rid of the black one. After I posted, I lifted the top shelf where my Cubans are and noticed the 2 cigars directly next to the black humidifier were almost wet. I threw the 2 sticks out, fortunately they were just a couple of sticks a buddy brought home for me from Miami. Where should the humidifier be placed so as not to damage the stick directly next to, or on the shelf above it? Seems like the sticks on top were too moist which is the reason for splitting. They seemed a little too mushy and the ends have swelled a little. I'm going to smoke one of the Cohiba's while grilling tonight that was the most damaged and pray that it's not ruined completely. On a two shelf humi, where is the best place to place the humidifer? Also, how does the Boveda system work?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the bovedas are a factory sealed unit. they can lay right on top of yur cigars with no damage to the cigars. the reason i suggest them first when having a problem is that with the bovedas, you have a surefire way of humififying your cigars. no need to add water or chemicals. when somebody is having trouble with humidity, there can be a number of reasons. First, is my hygrometer accurate? next, is my humidor itself leaky? next, is my humidifier working properly? did i add to much water? was I supposed to use 50/50 mix? when using bovedas, you take the question mark out of the possibility of faulty humidification.

one more thing, just bhecause your hygros match, dont assume that they are correct. they need to be calibrated.

some of these foam type humidifiers are just to close to the cigars that are in the top tray.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron,
Thank you very much for the info. I was afraid the foam type humidifier was just too close...I think I have found the problem. I suspected the problem was with that green foam piece of crap and after examining my cigars today, I do believe it's just too close to the cigars and it's making them almost moist. Regarding the Boveda, I was reading they can do auto ship every 2 months. Is this generally how long they last? I found a distributor who says they need to be changed every 3 months, and charges $3.95 per packet with free shipping. Let me know your thoughts on this. Lastly, are the Boveda's that accurate I dont have to worry about the hygro problem I seem to have? Thanks again for all your help...

Jay

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing, what are your thoughts on the Cyrtsal jars versus the Boveda? I've seen several variations of the crystal jars and wanted to get the pros and cons of both products...I just have too much $ invested in this humidor to ruin them completely. Thanks again

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
well, regarding the Bovedas, you can buy them from me as needed. I actually use the Bovedas as a supplement in desktops. I have been using my Paradigm humidifiers along with Bovedas as a supplement. The Paradigm actually supplies most of the humidification, not the Boveda. What the Boveda does is just dial in the accuracy, and absorbs some humidity if it goes too high. Think of the Bovedas as insurance, they just supplement your normal humidification unit. my Bovedas are going strong for over a year when used as a supplement. as i said, they are an awesome insrance policy for your cigars

the cyrstal jars are fine, but just 2 warnings. They need to be charged with 50/50 solutions, not just plain water. also, they keep humidity only at 70%, not as many choices in humidity levels.