What's new

Pros vs Cons of cellophane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my research of looking into whether or not to cigars in the humidor with or without cello i came across some interesting stuff.

But the one that made the most sense to me was an article stating that putting cigars in the humi with the cello on doesnt do anything, as the cigars do not receive proper humidification because it cant penetrate the cellophane, and that the only positive effects can only be achieved when removed from the wrapper and put into the humidor.

Any takes on pros and cons with this

The main reason for this is because my taxes came in and im taking a splurge on some nice higher end cigars and want to take care of them and properly maintain them

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Keep them in the cello unless you think they LOOK better out of it. The humidity thing is a joke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt answer the question, that just people saying yes or no that they do

My question is how is a humidor suppose to properly humidify a cigar thats closed off in cellophane, and whats the point in leaving it on.

Not being an ass but I already read that thread, as I did search before posting, that thread didnt answer my question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on now, if your just going to be a jerk about the question then plz dont reply with sarcasm

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
ON...

OFF...

ON...

OFF...

no matter. personal pref. On helps protect. They look better with out.

Cello is not a vapor barrier. The cigars may be stored at the vendor for a year or more in cello and they arrive just fine.

Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Come on now, if your just going to be a jerk about the question then plz dont reply with sarcasm
LOL... You don't know Justin at all, do you.

It's just a beat-up, over debated discussion.

As most here will tell you, It's mainly for looks, and to protect the cigars!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
don't be offended when this thread gets locked down either. Read the link in Hassan's post, and you'll have more opinions than you want.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*sigh*

Ok...

Pros:
-----
-Cellophane is a porous cellulose (wood pulp) product. It breathes, your cigars will receive humidity. Whomever wrote what you read is wrong, or confusing it with plastic.
-Cellophane will serve as a buffer to rapid / drastic humidity changes, affording some level of protection from these conditions to your cigars.
-Cellophane will serve as a barrier to the spread of mold should it take hold in your humidor.
-Cellophane will protect the fragile capas (wrappers) in handling, transport and shipping.

Cons:
-------
-Cellophane will slow the humidity changes slightly, so you cigars will take longer to acclimate to a given RH.

Conjecture:
-----------
-No cello allows for more rapid aging of the cigar - this will be debated until the day at which there is only one cigar smoker left alive.

The con really isn't much of a con - you can always take that one cigar and pull the cello off it a a day or three ahead of time and it'll acclimate while the rest of your cigars are still protected.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Yep, lots and lots of opinions on this. But, to answer your original question, cellophane breathes, so it won't prevent the cigar from being properly humidified.

Status
Not open for further replies.