What's new

Questions About Boveda

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I posted a while back on some DIY humidor ideas and finally got something going to store my cigars in. It's nothing fancy, pretty much just an air tight jar that a friend had in his garage (thanks by the way!). So far it's worked out fairly nice. I may go with something different after a while though...not sure. Anyway my question is about Bodeva packets. I want to get something that's fairly cheap and easy to use, which these seem to be. I'm putting together a sampler over at www.famous-smoke.com and thought I'd pick up some of these packets too. My question is what humidity level do I get? The 65% seems a no brainer, but what size container does that work for? I thought of going with the 69% and then if the container is a little larger than the 65% would work for, it should equal out. Thoughts?

Thanks for the :help:
Dan

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Honestly I'd switch to beads if possible. Here's an excerp from the Boveda website:

"You will need one Pack for the Humidor itself and then one pack for every 50 cigars of CAPACITY. So if you have a humidor that holds 40 cigars, use 2 packs. If your box holds 75 cigars, use 3 packs. 100 cigars, 3 packs. You get the picture. "

Not know how big your jar is, its hard to say. But a 100 count humidor with 3 packs replaced every 3 months equals $60 a year. Look at long term cost over short term low price. And beads are pretty cheap in comparison.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I think we are dealing with less than 20 cigars in a glass jar. So humidiity will not be absorbed by the wood, and leakage wil bot be an issue either as it is an airtight jar. Also you can lay the boveda directly on the cigars, I woul dnot think you could lay newly "misted" beads directly on your smokes. Given the shape of a jar, and the limited capacity, a boveda or 2 will work perfectly.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I've given some consideration to beads. My issue is I've had trouble finding a cheap source. How many beads would you say I'd need for about a 20-25 count jar? Right now I'd rather pay about $6 every few months for Boveda packs than lay out $30-40 for beads, even if they last longer.

Dan

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to put a couple of the 69% in my shopping cart. We'll see what kind of results I get. I can always get beads later if I don't like how the Boveda works out, but judging from the replies I think I'll be happy.

Thanks again.
Dan