What's new

Quick question on seasoning humidor...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hey everyone,
Just a quick noob question about seasoning new trays for wine cooler. If my RH is 70-75% will the trays season themselves if I left them out for few days? I was gonna do the sponge with DW but I thought just leaving them out would work out better...

Thanks,
-hawaiian

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The wood will slowly absorb moisture. Personally would not wipe them down. Just throw in humi and give some time for rh to adjust :thumbsup:

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you don't have any sticks in the wine cooler, I would attempt to raise the RH to the high 70s and then let it absorb for a week or so. I wouldn't wipe down.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
What they said. I wouldn't leave them outside to season. Too many things you can't control. If you want to get them seasoned before putting them into the wine cooler throw them in a tupperware-type container with a container of DW (or beads if you have extra, still wouldn't hurt to put a small container of DW in) and close it up. If the wine cooler has smokes in it a lot depends on how full it is. If it is packed, I would just put them in and not worry about it. You just may need to refresh your beads a little sooner than normal, but they'll acclimate pretty quick. if it's close to empty, might take them a bit longer and as it is already hard enough to maintain a consistent RH in a mostly empty space I would season before putting them in.

Bottom line, don't stress yourself out too much about it. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks for some great ideas. The ambient humidity where I live changes from 60s to 90s during the day at any given time so I guess better safe than sorry... I only got around 75 sticks in the wineador so I'll move them to a tupperware in the meantime and go through the sponge dish method. Aloha!