What's new

Raising Humidity

JCJ

All for the glory of God!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all. I cannot get my humidor to stay at a constant humidity. The temp is usually no lower than 65 and no higher than 73. However, the humidity does not get above 68% (on a good day). It usually hovers at 63/65. Right now, its at 63%...yesterday was at 61%. Its a 20 count. I have the CI 2 ounce humi jar and a "humi care" water pillow in it. I refilled the jar with some cigar juice this morning and no change yet. There are about 16 sticks in it now, so it is just about 75% full. Any advice from the pros on this? Thanks in advance!

John

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I think that humidity is fine. Have you noticed any difference when smoking?

In the winter my hunudity goes from 65% to around 60/62% and my cigarS smoke fine. If it goes under 60% I re charge my HF beads and will also wipe down the inside of the lid with D. water. The humidor im talking about holds about 100-150 cigars.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
first of all, I see a lot of mfgrs say that 70-75% rH is key, but from personal experience as well as the opinion of many seasoned BOTLs, you want to shoot for around 65% so you're doing great! From past experience, cigars burn a hair too slow at 75%, and below 65% they tend to burn too hot. I've found my sweet spot at 65%.

Second, I would HIGHLY suggest investing in some heartfelt beads or a Boveda Pack. I have not used a Boveda, but once I used some heartfelt beads I tossed every bit of floral foam and "cigar juice" I had! They might be slightly steeper in price, but totally worth the investment! My coolidor stays at a consistant 64-65% rH! When it drops at all, I simply recharge my beads and I'm back to cruising altitude!

Third, I'd get rid of the cigar juice and just use distilled water. I think the cigar juice is more hype than it is anything else, to be perfectly honest. Consider this: that you can purchase a gallon of propylene glycol for $20 and a gallon of distilled water for $.88, and a 16 oz bottle of "cigar juice" (50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol) goes for $12, the math just suck! If you made it yourself, you'd have 256 oz of "cigar juice" for $21, equal to 16 bottles! So, pick up some propylene glycol, a gallon of distilled water, and some bottles, and you'll theoretically make (or save) yourself $171. 'Nuff said...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amazing what cedar strips/sheets will do to help regulate RH in any humidor/tupperdor. I line the bottom of every one I have and it really helps keep RH where it belongs. Beads and cedar...can't beat this combo.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Good answers above but really your numbers are fine for a small humidor, there will be fluctuations time to time. So long as they are smoking fine nothing to worry about.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
How often do you open the Humi? so far the numbers are all in acceptable range. The key question is how are your cigars smoking? if they are somking fine then what's the problem. If you really want your Rh to stay steady you nead beads or boveda because the gel stuff can range from 65-72% humidity not really good for holding a consistent Rh.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I think the worst thing I did to my anal retentive, obsessive side was to get those digital hygrometers for a couple of my humidors!!!

Like, right now, my hygros are showing, in two humis, that the humidity is in the 50's. To me, I feel like I'm ruining the cigars. And my Heartfelt bead sticks are drying out, it seems, constantly. BUT... the cigars out of those humis smoke just fine. But I can't get over this part of me that thinks I'm destroying all those cigars.