What's new

Random Noob Questions

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Instead of starting different threads with my random noob questions, I figured I'd post them all in one place here:

1. Is it necessary to periodically rotate the cigars in your humidor? (I would think yes, if nothing else than to expose more surface area of each cigar to a consistent dose of humidity over time).

2. How do full boxes of cigars stay fresh without a humidification device in them? (I realize they are more than likely stored in a controlled environment before they get bought by the end consumer, but how would the humidity get inside a sealed box? You would think that over an extended period of time, there would be at least some deterioration.)

3. How do "Humidipak's" stay fresh before they are bought? (or do they just waste away if they aren't bought in time & just replaced as needed?)

I apologize in advance if any/all of these questions have been asked/answered already & I'm sure I'll have more questions in time...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
1) Depends on size of the humidor, and personal preference. In my case 50ct didn't bother, for my old 200ct i used to rotate the sticks every six months or so just because the bottom Rh was 2pts higher but didn't really need to.

2)i assume you mean with the plastic taken off the box. cigar boxes are not "airtight" and the wood "breathes" I've heard some people say that cigars stored in closed boxes age slower. have not been storing boxes that long but have some 2yrs old and the cigars are doing fine.

3) ones i have purchased usually come in a sealed heavy guage ziplock type bag and always good to go. plus you can always "re-hydrate" the humidipack just put it in a tupperware container with a damp sponge or paper towel. works for first few times but eventually you'll have to by new ones

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
1. I never have and don't really see the need to.

2. Lots of full boxes have humidipacks in the like fuente and others I have purchased. I would assume if the cigars are at proper humidity at the time of being sealed then the moisture would be sealed in.

3 They come sealed in plastic bags so they stay where they need to be until opened.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
1. With desktops, depends on how often you get to the ones on the bottom. Personally, I keep the ones I want to age more on the bottom and my rotation smokes on the top. I do keep a pillow pack on the bottom, just my little ocd. With a cabinet, there are always fans that rotate the air/humidity so no worries there. With a cooler, oust fans are the trick.

2.Like GP mentions, boxes will breathe, just need to remove the plastic wrap if it has it. I actually keep my slide boxes open about a 1/4". If you think about it, if boxes were airtight, you would be able to keep your cigars in the box, in the open without a humidor.

3. I know where you're coming from. Depending on the type of humipak, you can recharge some (i.e. the pillow packs I use), or you just replace em. I did ponder once, what happens if a shop doesn't sell one for example, how long would it last on the shelf? and yes as answered, the pack is sealed airtight when it comes and when you open it, that starts its "life cycle" so to speak. G1