What's new

Re-humidifying dried cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blindly and carelessly relying on the number on my hygrometer digital screen, I managed to dry out my batch of cigars. And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of the town called Dryville, CC.

For about two years, I've stored my cigars in a glass jar (rubber seal + clasp) with a water pillow polymer humidifier. The humidity was monitored with an inexpensive and small thermometer / hygrometer. The temperature reading sometimes seemed off but the RH reading was checked against another - pricier - unit and the two humidities never differed by more than 1 %. That arrangement was working out quite well for me until I started getting concerned that my cigars were over-humidified. First, there was the RH reading which was about 75 %. Beside that, it also seemed that my cigars were blooming out at the ends. The latter is harder to confirm, of course, so it may well be attributed to the psychological effect that the overly worried cigar aficionado will see what he already thinks he is seeing.

During smoking, I never had any major problems that would indicate overhumidification, yet I still tried to tackle the problem by leaving the lid of the jar ajar for 24 hr periods of time. The RH dropped down to about 74 % and following the pyshological effect described in the previous paragraph, the cigars seemed much healthier, too.

This was going on for about a month or two, then I packed up my stuff and moved to another town for 6 months (where I am at the time of writing this post). I took my cigars with me, of course, but as the glass jar is not that suitable for travel, I packed my cigars in a Travel Caddy 10 ct travel humidor. I took out the foam separating panels and managed to fit all my collection (about 20 cigars) inside. As I had been warned that overhumidification can be an issue in travel humidors, I was even more wary of the high RH numbers on the hygrometer. So I made a point of leaving the humidor not completely closed. The RH dropped down to 65 % and I was feeling relieved.

Until I tried smoking the cigars. Despite the optimal RH level, the cigars were all crackling alarmingly when I gave them the squeeze test. When I looked at the polymer humidification pillow, I noticed that it had dried up completely.

My first action was to regenerate the pillow and close the humidor lid. I also wetted the humidification foam pad of the humidor itself. This took place about two or three weeks ago. Since then, I have repeated wetting the humidor humidification foam several times. So far, all of the cigars still crackle when squeezed, though the RH has, according to the apparently not very accurate hygrometer, risen up to 75 %.

My question to you, storage and humidification experts, is the following:

At what rate, or within which time scale should I expect the cigars to regain their normal humidity levels?

Should I be patient with my current humidor solution or should I move the cigars to a different container (all I have at my disposal right now are tupperware containers)?.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By looks alone, I coulnd't really say there's anything wrong with the cigars. No cracked wrappers, Nicaraguan sticks still have that oily sheen to their wrappers... Also, they all still smell as they used to.

Perhaps shifting to a tupperdor would be a good idea since at this point, I'm dealing with too many uknowns (operation of the humidifier, operation of the humidor, actual RH values).

Last edited:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Boveda packs may help you in the future. I am going to be seasoning a new humidor for the next 14 days with bovedas and then always keeping a 65% one or 2 in there moving forward.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna thank SmokeAndMirrors and ENV for their input, but fearing that we're straying off the main issue, I'd like to rephrase the question:

how long does it take to re-hydrate partially dried out cigars?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
If your cigars smoke well at 70% and they are dried out some the a couple weeks in the proper humidity will bring them back. The more dried out the longer it will take. If they are dried to the point the oils are gone toss them.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
So if they still do have oily wrappers, then that is a very good sign.

To each their own, but 70% is very high, especially if you are reviving dry cigars. I would go with 63-ish RH, and go from there.

If you read polls and read posts from veterans here, most prefer an RH of 65%. Again, to each their own...You just don't want them to absorb a lot of humidity too quickly, or you risk bursting the wrappers as the binder/filler expands too quickly.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
My first suggestion would be to recalibrate your hygrometer. This is absolutely necessary to make sure that you know you are seeing a reliable reading and can bring them back to the correct RH

Keeping them in Tupperware is a good solution and will help you keep them at a constant RH. As Clint mentioned you will want to bring them back in stages so that you avoid the risk of humidifying them too quickly. Bringing them up too quickly can cause them to crack and even burst. Once you have your Hygrometer calibrated, check the RH of your room. This will probably give you a good indication of the RH that your cigars are at. then I would bring them up to about 5 points above what the room RH is and let them sit for at least 2 weeks so that they are fully acclimated. Next, raise them up 2-3 points and let them sit for another couple of weeks. Repeat until you get them where you want them. This may take awhile but ultimately you should get them back to smokeability. As long as they were not dried out for an extended period of time you should be able to bring them back.

Good luck,

Rupe

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Once they're in a environment that's conducive to raising their rH, I would say at least a month. I'd give it two.

Here's what happened to your sticks:

First, the water pillows are great at letting out rH, but they don't absorb any back, and in my own experience, they will leave any enclosed environment at about 75%. I actually just performed that experiment a couple days ago. So it was letting off WAY too much humidity.

Second, cramming that many cigars inside a tiny container doesn't allow for much circulation. I'm guessing with your hygrometer right next to the water pillow, it was reading high because all the moisture being released was just right there next to the hygrometer, and possibly wetting the feet of the cigars.

Third, when you tried to fix the problem by cracking open the travel caddy, you released all the rH inside, drying out the water pillow and bringing the cigars inside down to whatever the current ambient rH in the room was.

The solution is to find a slightly bigger container, and to use a two-way RH medium, like silica kitty litter, cigar beads, or Bovedas. Something that can release rH into the atmosphere to keep the cigars moist enough, but that can also absorb extra rH so it doesn't climb to high inside the airtight space. For you at this point, I'd recommend a boveda, because it's simple and hassle-free. The Travel Caddy and your tupperware are both airtight, so leaking isn't an issue and one boveda can last quite a while. But unlike the water pillow, it will prevent over-humidification by absorbing any extra rH once the proper ambient rH is reached inside the container.

Step 1 - Calibrate your hygrometer with a Boveda calibration kit (eBay, $6)
Step 2 - Put a 62% Boveda bag inside a clean tupperware and transfer the sticks to it.
Step 3 - After a month, take out the 62% and put in a 65% and leave 'em for another month. At that point, I'd be pretty certain they'd be ready to smoke.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, thank you for your replies, Too bad I noticed them only now, though. In the meantime, I rehumidified my cigars, but unfortunately my appoach was rather ham-fisted and may have pushed the cigars to the other side over the edge.

edit: I'm pretty sure that the water pillows (brand name) I use are similar to that silica kitty litter, i.e. they should be a two-way medium. They have worked for me perfectly so far.

Well. What's done is one. I tried one the other day, it seemed to smoke fine (as fine as a JLP will smoke, anyway), but the smoking season has probably ended over here.

The lesson learnt is not to blindly trust numbers, I guess.

Last edited: