What's new

Recommendations for quality small travel/home humidor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I see this question has been asked before but thought worth asking again for the latest recommendations.

I have used a Csonka Survivor travel humidor for some years with only average success to store the odd cigar, generally Siglo II or IIIs, legal here in New Zealand :) I generally don't keep any stock and when I do I buy them in tubes - seem to keep ok for the short time before I smoke 'em.

Unfortunately my partner just picked me up a very nice 5 pack in the airport but I just realized they are not tubed, so need a storage solution. Rather than something short term thought I might treat myself.
I was just going to buy a proper Xikar hygrometer for the Csonka but having read various reviews and posts today it seems perhaps that it does not seal air in well, which would explain why cigars in it dry out so quickly. I just posted a question on another thread about the UNDERCROWN Travel Humidor as a local retailer has them. That is larger but not too large and looks better quality.

I'm not keen on the plastic/rugged style travel cases. My ideal humidor would be;

4-10 capacity
leather covered box or tube
cedar lined
external view hydrometer (this seems unlikely - all the ones I found that have this so far were very cheap and so perhaps of dubious quality) or space for a good one inside

If anyone has any recommendations for that kind of spec and of good quality I would be grateful to hear them.
Best from Dunedin, NZ, at the bottom of the world. Nick

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to close this thread off, after some reading I went for a Dunhill White Spot Leather Travel humidor (can't include a link, I'm too new). It's only 7" x 8", holds around 10 cigars and seems very well made. Dunhill have a great reputation in the UK (I'm English). Cost was about USD180 but I know with Dunhill that is is a product that will last a lifetime. Plan to add a Ciguardian Angel tube for my small supply and should be sweet. I found another beautiful leather travel humidor from sigloaccessory.com which was also much cheaper but quite a bit larger. Small size was important to me.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I found early on that the cigar cases that are cedar lined allow the cigars to slide around and bang each other. I have two Xikar cases and I love them both. The small one holds 10-15 cigars and if you have less cigars than that you can carry a hygro with it. I also have a large 50-80 count case for when I go on vacation. I am kind of a plain guy so I like the look of the plain black case. I would say that you could add a sheet or two of cedar along with your Boveda pack and retain that cedar smell. But for me I love Xikar and will probably use those forever. They just work!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of in the same boat. Have a small Xikar that currently holds all my stogies. I know I'll need dome more storage soon, and would like a small desktop humi. I've been looking at this:
http://www.elighters.com/vhud77.html
Once I outgrow that I'll just go the coolidors route. That way I have a travel case, a desktop, and a functional coolidors for long term storage.