What's new

Recommended RH vs. B&M Recommendation

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a 65 Boveda pack from my b&m. They tried to dissuade me from doing so. I can't seem to rectify the contradiction between my b&m's recommended rh (70) and BOTL's consensus (65). I assume there are pro's and con's to both. I do plan to age some Opus X and generally keep everything in 1 humi. Would anyone care to elaborate? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
70 - cigars will smoke hotter, burn will be wonky, and it will taste more bitter
65 - cigars will smoke better, burn better, and taste better.

Can't really elaborate much more than that. 70% used to be "conventional wisdom." I assume the thought was "higher rH = more retention of oils" and I suppose that's possible. That being said, I've never had a cigar taste better at 70% than it did at 65%, and occasionally going down to 62% is even better.

Try for yourself - grab a 65%, a 70%, and a two tupperware. Put identical sticks in each, and give it a month or two, then smoke each one.

I do know of some BOTLs who will age long term at 70%, and smoke at 65%. I don't have the space or resources to do this but I've yet to see any negative results, and I know many other BOTLs who have aged at 65% for years and had fantastic results.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
My B&M owner used to laugh at me when I used to give him crap for not carrying 65% bovedas. Always said 70% was the only rh to have. Nerrrr

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
honestly, the difference between 62 and 65 and 70 is just personal preference. I second Ninjas suggestion of trying them both out for yourself.