What's new

Resting/Aging Limited Release Cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read many diverse opinions on the desirability of resting and aging and resting vs aging. Concerning limited release cigars such as Punch Rare Corojo and possibly Liga Privada, would the inventory available before the next release be somewhat rested? I haven't had any luck finding out how long cigars have been warehoused, but in any case, would the warehouse time be considered resting?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
there is a lot of personal preference at play in this, so i will break it down:

-all cigars are both aged as leaf, and either rested or aged whole before release, unless the company absolutely sucks

-age really comes into play after more than a year, anything less is rest

-only you can know what you want to smoke, and when

-companies do not really like to release a lot of their information regarding production, so let your senses guide the decision

my suggestion is, if you think it is worth chasing, smoke a few when they are released, and decide if you want a pile, and at what rate you want to burn them. rare corojo is released in PILES, but is not available year round. LP is released year round, but in such small numbers that you can blink and miss them easily. it is ultimately your call if you like a younger or older profile.

Last edited:

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0

-all cigars are both aged as leaf, and either rested or aged whole before release, unless the company absolutely sucks

-companies do not really like to release a lot of their information regarding production, so let your senses guide the decision

my suggestion is, if you think it is worth chasing, smoke a few when they are released, and decide if you want a pile, and at what rate you want to burn them. rare corojo is released in PILES, but is not available year round. LP is released year round, but in such small numbers that you can blink and miss them easily. it is ultimately your call if you like a younger or older profile.
Well, I think that about sums it up! :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to put aside the aging vs resting question as that's a grey area and just samantics (IMO). Call it what you will, folks just want to know if a cigar will improve over time and if yes, how much time does it take for that to happen.

I personally can not answer the question as I haven't had many sticks with significant age on them.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Even then it comes down to what you enjoy. Myself I like Liga and most htf tats fresher. Some people like them mellowed out after a few years. It's a time investment but the onlu way to know is so it and decide.

My $0.02

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Would the wharehouse time be considered resting?
-No. It would be considered a final maturation/fermentation before leaving the factory.
And even then some well known NC manufactures are now letting their stuff leave early in hopes of fulfilling the markets wish of further supply. I. E. DPG blue label. It's been noted by several guys here that they feel there is too much ammonia in blue labels in the last two years. after a year or two the ammonia is gone and they are ready to smoke and are fine examples of the release.
- CCs
To this day CCs only go thru a 180 day fermentation process. Unless it is the weapper leaf which is 2 to 3 years or five years on special release or LE. Because of this most guys feel that most CCs take at least 3 to 5 years to mature enough to enjoy the delicate flavors and have that ammonia leave the cigar altogether.
-Broadleaf NCs
This is where can get tricky. For some reason, several years ago say 09 broadleaf wrapper used to age well. That wrapper,minty /spiciness that it brought to the cigar. A good example of this is the 09 noella Reserva. Nowadays the Broadleaf that these manufactures seem to be bringing to market does not age well with time but yet it shines in the first year or so. After three years it definitely seems to fade. I think many would agree with me on this. however cigars like T 52's may have enough strength in the filler binder to carry on the aging slightly further say 3 to 5 years.
When is warehouse rest actually rest?
Unless a cigar is not selling very well in the market. It would then be considered a long rest (a year or two, at least one year). But most LE hard-to-find cigars or higher recognized name brands would most likely not have this problem.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I agree, that definitely sums it up. I got my 5 pack of LP#9 Corona Doble yesterday from Podman. I opened it up and tossed in a hygrometer and it read 58%. A while back I got a box of Camacho Triple Maduros from BNB Tobacco, the cardboard box was sealed but when I opened it the latch was broken on the cigar box. I checked the RH and it was 50%. So from this small sample I'm assuming that it's normal for cigars to be kept at lower than end use RH at the seller's warehouse. For me then, resting/aging begins when it's in my humi. I'll give the LP a few days to get up to RH before I smoke one, which really goes against my hedonism but I'll manage. Thanks for all the comments.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, I agree, that definitely sums it up. I got my 5 pack of LP#9 Corona Doble yesterday from Podman. I opened it up and tossed in a hygrometer and it read 58%. A while back I got a box of Camacho Triple Maduros from BNB Tobacco, the cardboard box was sealed but when I opened it the latch was broken on the cigar box. I checked the RH and it was 50%. So from this small sample I'm assuming that it's normal for cigars to be kept at lower than end use RH at the seller's warehouse. For me then, resting/aging begins when it's in my humi. I'll give the LP a few days to get up to RH before I smoke one, which really goes against my hedonism but I'll manage. Thanks for all the comments.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Podmans out of Miami. Unless he's using a dehumidifier at his office you may want to check your hygrometer calibration brother!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Podmans out of Miami. Unless he's using a dehumidifier at his office you may want to check your hygrometer calibration brother!
New Xikar hygrometers freshly calibrated with Boveda Calibration pack earlier in the week. The ambient humidity in Dallas has been running in the 20 - 30% range, so I can see that sucking out some humidity.