What's new

Salt test

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the salt test by putting a bottle cap w 1 tsp of salt and a few drops of water in a ziplock bag with my hygro.

The first time I got 71% but the salt looked wet. So I redid the test with less water and I got a reading of 75%.

Should I just trust the 75% and assume my hygro is well calibrated?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I use a bodeva pack for most calibrations; but you can trust the salt calibration. Just "damp salt" not "floating in water salt".... Now get that thing back in the humi sir! :)

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I don't trust the salt test. From my experience, if it's possible to do it wrong, I'll do it wrong. I used a boveda to calibrate my hygro, but I've always thought you could use HF beads as well. I mean, if they're supposed to be precise, couldn't you set your hygro by them?

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Like Gavin said "damp salt not floating in water salt" and the salt test works perfectly.

Personally I use the salt test, mainly because it is so damn convenient. I can certainly afford the $5 or whatever a Boveda calbration costs nowadays however when I get the urge to calibrate I can do it immediately with some basic items that I already have around the house instead of having to place an order, wait a week and then calibrate.

The salt test (when done right) is no more or less accurate than buying a Boveda. Just quicker and cheaper.

pmd

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a Boveda 75% package in a sealed mason jar with some spanish cedar strips. As long as its sealed it'll always be 75% and ready to calibrate at a moments notice.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've also noticed the results of the salt test can fluctuate significantly based on how damp the salt is. I've done it enough times now that I'm able to get pretty consistent results.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I got a reading of 75% when I salt test. Isn't it supposed to be 70%?
Nope....The salt test (when done correctly) will always generate 75%. The same holds true for a Boveda calibration pack which also puts out 75%. This is the reason why when you hit the calibrate button on a Xikar hygrometer it goes to 75%.