What's new

Sealing a cabinet humidor door

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello all,
I just recently purchased a cabinet humidor (tower) and i am trying to figure out what to use on sealing the door. I knew going in on buying this tower that they can be leaky, so i figured i could some modifications. I tried to use a vinyl foam strip (3/16" thick) that is used for windows but it was just a little to thick and would not compress enough as the door was to tight to shut. What do any of you guys use to seal a door? I do have about 4 pounds of heartfelt beads (65%), 3 120mm fans and a cigar oasis magna humidifier with 2 external fans to be installed.

I'm thinking a felt strip might be good enough? I'm not looking for a air tight seal as i should have enough humidification but i just don't want to have to fill the humidifier every couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The tighter the seal the better luck you are gonna have.

My Aristocrat uses some really thin vinyl molding I believe. Like 1/8"

Have you looked online?

Parker

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I *might* be able to help you find some thinner foam strips if you're interested in going that route, but I won't be able to check until I'm back at work - I don't have any foam there, but I should be able to look and see where I've bought it for industrial/manufacturing applications in the past...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The tighter the seal the better luck you are gonna have.

My Aristocrat uses some really thin vinyl molding I believe. Like 1/8"

Have you looked online?

Parker
1/8" would be perfect. I have looked online and nothing came up for what i was looking for such as what Shadow posed below. Thanks for your input..

This may work for you.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-strips/=z3jdyr
You can select adhesive backing, closed cell, in a range of widths and thicknesses.
Just what i was looking for, why something like this didn't show up in a goggle search, i'll never know.. Thank you..

BTW i meant to say 3/16" vinyl foam, not 3/8" in my original post. if i needed 3/8" to seal a door, i'd have bigger problems

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I do a good bit of diy stuff and use them for a lot of stuff. Not sure why, but they never really come up in my Google searches either. Let us know how it works out.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Bob Stabell (aristocrat) might sell you some. He's a super nice guy.

Just be straight up and say you've purchased an older cabinet and wonder if he will sell what he uses. I know he was willing to sell his cooling units by themselves when I thought about a China hutch conversion.

Parker