What's new

Season too much?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Brothers,

I just purchased my first desktop humi, and received it yesterday. (got the Deauville 100ct)

The very first thing I did was put a small coffee dish in there, and put in as much DW as I could without it spilling over and ruining the humi.

I immediately took the Hygrometer (analog that was included) out and did the salt test. Found that dial was just about on key after 8 hours, and I only had to make a small correction to hit 75%. I pulled the Hygrometer out and threw it in the humi. I am ordering some HCM beads, and the Hygroset II this week (just spreading the expenses for the wife).

My question for you all is this... My analog hygrometer reads 70% right now in the humi. Its been less than 24 hours...... What should I do?

My guess is yall are going to say "Chrisso, shutup and leave it alone for at minimum a week", "or at the very least wait till you get the new gear in".

I just dont want to worry about seasoning it past any particular point? Im still new to all this, so I just dont want to screw it up. Im hoping to add about 30 sticks to this girl sometime this week (hoping), so I dont want to exactly over do it and put an additional load on the beads when they come in........

Maybe im just over thinking all of this.......

Regards,
-Chrisso

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Take the bowl of water out overnight and check the reading in the morning. If it is around 68-70 you are good to go. If lower than 65, put the bowl of water back in.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Craig Mac, Thanks man!

My only concern is did the Ceder absorb enough moisture in 24 hours?! I was prepared to let this thing do its thing for an entire week........ Im more nervous that it may have happened a hell of a lot quicker?

But I will do as you say, and pull it tonight and read it in the morning. Ill post back whats happened. Guess Ill pull the Analog hygrometer out in the morning after reading it and do the salt test again too.

Thanks for the help!
-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Relax take a deep breath. First thing is ready the sticky's about seasoning a humidor. Craig Mac is right the humidor is ready when it holds 68-70 with no water inside. This is why the last time i had to season a humidor i just bought the boveda seasoning packs sure cost more than a bowl of water but lot less hassle

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I love you guys.....

Lol, thanks GP. Ill chill out, burn one, and do what CraigMac said.

Ill post results tomorrow.

Thanks again guys,
-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
CM,

Yeah, I dont really care about the looks at all. Ill get anal one day when I start piecing together a wineador, but not this little dude. I just want it to serve its purpose.

So, yes, the analog will be getting replaced this week, with the calibration kit, and also HCM beads.

But I was hoping that the analog would work for the time being. "Hoping"....

-Chrisso

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
just for once you get it stabilized: remember that a box will ALWAYS be more stable with more stuff in it, from more smokes, to cedar blocks that come in some cigar boxes. like a freezer losing power: you will keep your stash longer if it is at least half full, than if all you have is a couple good steaks and one sad pack of peas. also, like a freezer, KEEP IT CLOSED unless you are taking out or putting in, don't just stand there and stare! (oh god, i am now my parents) o)

congrats and good luck with your first box, man! we will be here for you when you get it up and rolling. and when you outgrow it. heh.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Take Java's advice and don't open it unless absolutely necessary! I know when I first started I was checking and checking like crazy. The need to keep looking will subside after a while. I call it noob syndrome.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well when I checked it this morning, the RH was at 68% (according to the analog). Ive left the DW out of it, and am going to check it again when I get home.

Ill update again this evening.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

-Chrisso

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always love to read these kinds of posts where we secretly want to know what is going on inside our humidors. Active and passive humidification ...what to use for RH..what kind of hygro...no wonder we tend to get paranoid at times? We hear so many things that can ruin our cigars..beetles..heat...too high RH...too low RH...it's almost so bad you have to consider taking xanax to throw off the demons. There are things one can do to alleviate all of the stress associated with this hobby...I made a complete change of humidification over a year ago and never looked back and I now hardly ever check my RH anymore because it stays solid for months at a time regardless of whether it's in a wood humidor, tupperador or cooler. Now I have more time to shop for cigars.

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I would just go buy 3 (to start) 69 rh Boveda packs and throw them in the box. That way you'll be set for humidification once you put cigars in it. I like 69rh because my boxes leaked a bit and would hold a steady 67 rh with my sticks in it.

I like the Boveda packs because you buy 6 of them, put 3 in the 100 count box and in 2-3 months take them out and replace with 3 new. While the 3 new are in there you recharge the 3 you took out.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the input carholio!

Not sure that the local BM sells any boveda's, so it might be just as easy ordering the HCM beads online. But Ill call and ask him.

THe RH is at 65% after work today, so I think im going to put the water back in till I find some boveda packs or beads to put in.

-Chrisso

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the same exact humidor about 3 weeks ago! I've had a digital hygrometer and a 2 in canister of HCM beads in there for about 1 week and a half or so, and it's doing pretty well with the humidity, thinks it's at a stable 65% by now. :) Hopefully this 10 pack of Man O War virtue comes through @ cigarbid later this week. :p

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Lol, good to know Tom_cigarEmpire

Thanks for your 2 cents. Sounds like you did exactly what im doing. Glad to know its working brotha!

-Chrisso