What's new

Seeking advice...

Rating - 100%
188   0   0
Hello,

What a great site this is...

I am looking to purchase a humidor for myself and would consider myself a "occasional" enjoyer of the leaf. By that, I guess I mean that I don't enjoy cigars necessarily all that often, but when I do, I like to have good ones on-hand. So, I don't necessarily need a large capacity, rather, I am more concerned about quality of the device and stability of conditions inside. Since capacity isn't a priority...and I'd like my wife to approve of the appearance of this thing...I'm not terribly interested in the cooler thing. :)

I see a couple recommendations for the Holt's liquidation...which would probably work fine for me as long as the consensus is construction is good. I guess I'm not afraid to spend if it gets me better quality and something I don't have to "worry" about. With that thought...what would you recommend as a humidification device and hygrometer?

Any and all advice/recommendations greatly appreciated!

thanks!
greg

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Heartfelt beads for humidification and then you don't need a hygrometer as they are spot on. Go for the Holts humidors, they're fine, as most desktops are.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
i just purchased a Zebrano Dome humidor for 149 im sure anyone would approve of appearance and it will hold around 100-150 plenty or room and will give you room to add more to it. ill PM a link

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
for humidification-Heartfelt beads would be a good choice. You can choose your humidity level. Easy to use. Another choice is the Boveda. Also available in different humidity levels. The Boveda is the most mindless humidification, just costs more to use. I have also used a combo of the Paradigm humidifiers along with Bovedas or beads. The Paradigm provides a large source of water. The Bovedas or Beads provide the precise humidity level. Lot of ways to go.

a recalibratable hygrometer sold by sponsers of this site would work perfectly.

for a desktop, the Holts humis are great.Also, Dave from Heartfelt could sell you a ready to go package. Might be a few more bucks than finding the cheapest source for the individual products, but you would be buying from a winner. I have a few of the Holts humis in stock, so I could make you up a package also.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Dave from Heartfelt could sell you a ready to go package. Might be a few more bucks than finding the cheapest source for the individual products, but you would be buying from a winner.
Yep, let's support the site sponsors every chance we get.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Stay away from Thompsons and most things on ebay and you should be ok when it comes to desk top humidors. Buy from someplace that stands behind their products because really, there is about zero chance you are going to be able to be 100% sure you have a good humidor when you walk out the door/hit the buy button. So. Again, buy from someplace you are sure will stand behind the product. Beyond that, get what you think looks good and will be big enough. You can spend a little or a WHOLE lot on desktops. Typically, they are both going to work about the same for you so long as you don't go CHEAP.

The others have give you great recommendations. Be sure to use the flashlight test once you have your humidor. Do a search through the forums on humidors and you'll find all the information you could possibly need on seasoning and setting it up.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck!