What's new

Seriously Contemplating NewAir 280 Order

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've read (devoured?) a lot of the threads on here about Wineadors over the past two weeks and I'm getting close to ordering a NewAir 280 from Forrest with 4 drawers and 2 shelves. I've been running a coolerdor for 6 years now and have had generally good success. About a year ago I switched from passive humidification (floral foam and water) to a Cigar Oasis Excel. Lately I've doubled the number of sticks (probably sitting around 250 right now) as well as the quality of the sticks (going from buying the Holts store brand to boxes of Punch, A.Fuente, and Oliva) and appear to be having circulation issues as sticks in some parts of the cooler appear to be drier than in others--some to a concerning degree.

So my question really is this--I'm in the northeast. The room isn't air conditioned but also doesn't get terribly hot. I keep the heat at 62-67 during the winter (higher when I'm home, lower when I'm not) and it's radiator heat, not forced air.

I'm not anal about the Rh, but would like to be in the 67-70 range. same with temperature. A lot of people seem to use beads and/or Bovedas in their Wineadors. I'd like to keep my active system if possible, if only because it was $100 and I'd prefer not to have it just sitting around.

So the questions are:
1) can I use my active system?
2) what sort of aux fan system is in favor at this point (wired vs. battery, and what options within a particular type)
3) should I leave the Wineador unplugged much of the year?
4) am I wasting money using this as a way to improve circulation?

Thanks,

Ash Scache
Wilmington, DE

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is a hack that I don't know about, the upper limit on the thermostat control on the NewAirs is 66 degrees F. Doubt that 1 degree would make much difference from 67 though.
Given that for much of the year your ambient room temps are about what you want in your humidor anyway, you could unplug it, but I see no reason. It will not be cooling unless it has to, so unplugging it would not really accomplish much.
I see no reason why you could not use your Excel. For a 280, or even a 281, it should work. If your drain hole is the size of the one on my 281 you may be able to get your power adapter cord through it without cutting and slicing the wire. Not sure what the plug on your adapter looks like though.
Cant really answer the circulation question. The humidity in mine is pretty constant with no additional fan, but my drawers have not arrived yet so it's unloaded. If the Excel moves a lot of air I would just wait till you get it set up and see if that is sufficient by monitoring the RH on each level after loaded up.
Just my two bits, and keep in mind I don't actually have a complete wineador yet :)

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
The only months I have mine plugged in is July and Aug I use boveda in my 280 and I don't think a 280 has a drain plug just so you know and just to make sure you are aware there are quite a bit of demensonal differences in the 280 and 281 as to the fans there are several battery operated fans available. Mine wino is no where close to full so 1% difference in top to bottom don't bother me each shelf has 2-3 boveda