What's new

Slippery slope indeed

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, my order from CI came in today and I'm still alive. Of course the wife hasn't seen the invoice. Thought I'd post up a pic of my slightly full humidor.

Also have a question about the xikar lighter I got not lighting. It is an E11 and shows absolutely no sign of lighting regardless of flame strength adjustment.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346519982.696714.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming it comes with fluid actually. Please don't tell me I have to fill my brand new lighter. It says nothing about doing so in the instructions I received lol

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, you certainly have to fill it. From my experience, don't be surprised if it still doesn't light once you have filled it. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Xikar lighters. I swear they have that life time warranty to lure you in and hope that you're like me and feel like sending it back in over and over isn't worth your time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda figured that was the case after fighting with it for 20 minutes, I've grabbed some butane and in case this thing still doesn't work ive grabbed a ronson jet lite

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Turn down the flame all the way (-), and fill up the lighter. Wait about 5-10 mins for the fluid to become room temp. Then fire up the lighter. Hopefully should work for ya!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
turning down and filling it, then waiting, +1 to that. also, found that bleeding out the tank until there is nothing, neither air nor fluid, before you start, helps a LOT. depress the intake valve with a pen or small screwdriver.

i don't think they can ship them full without making you pay hazardous materials charges?

good luck with both the lighter, AND the downhill slide. o)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have that same Temp/Humidity unit. I wish I could find another at Wal-mart, but it seems they don't have them anymore. Looks great and reads very well.

Good luck with the wife.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have that same Temp/Humidity unit. I wish I could find another at Wal-mart, but it seems they don't have them anymore. Looks great and reads very well.

Good luck with the wife.
Home Depot carries a similar one by the same maker, it's in their indoor lawn and garden section. I picked one up last week.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Congrats on the new stash and best of luck with the lighter. If the bleeding, refilling with lighter fluid doesn't work I found one of my lighters to be very particular with the type of fluid being used, but after several attempts thankfully got it working well. Good think about xikar is they have a life time guarantee on their products!

I definitely feel your pain with the wifey situation, mine is giving me a pretty hard time as well whenever a big order comes in. We have come to some form of an agreement though that all the humidors and towers most match our current furniture and I've found myself being able to offset the "you bought more cigar" fury rant by surprising her with a little something, which typically arrives at the same time of my cigars haha.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighter was definitely shipped empty, put some fluid to it and she lit right up after a few minor adjustments to the air/fuel mixture screw. Thanks for the advice guys!

HA! definitely understand the appeasing the wife deal. She was pretty good about the whole ordeal. Just rolls her eyes and goes on. I'm pretty impressed with the little 8$ hygrometer.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Señor Maduro;1128412 said:

Good luck with the wife.
Home Depot carries a similar one by the same maker, it's in their indoor lawn and garden section. I picked one up last week.
Looks like a nice Hygrometer. Are you able to calibrate it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck with the wife.
The walmart Hygro's I've seen can't be calibrated. Of course I didn't really look too hard either.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Good luck with the wife.
The walmart Hygro's I've seen can't be calibrated. Of course I didn't really look too hard either.
Neither can be calibrated, I just did the salt test and then add or subtract by how much they're off. My Walmart one reads -1 and my Home Depot one reads -3

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Señor Maduro;1128485 said:

Good luck with the wife.
Neither can be calibrated, I just did the salt test and then add or subtract by how much they're off. My Walmart one reads -1 and my Home Depot one reads -3
For $8 I can live with it being off a little bit. I'll just add a lttle piece of tape to remind me how much it's off.