What's new

Smoke in a desk top humidor

Rating - 100%
102   0   0
My friends son put a half smoked stick in the humidor and it was still smoking when he did it. it was in there for 5hrs. What to do? :help::help::cryloud:

Thanks
John

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife just said, "what a dumb!"

i couldn't agree more.

i think in this case you could actually deliver an open-palm slap to the kid's face without losing points on your man-card. for some reason, it seems appropriate.

i guess you'd have to assess the damage. take out all the cigars, wipe down the cedar with a damp cloth (maybe rubbing alcohol or something? i don't know what kind of solvent you could use to clean cedar. someone here should know), air it out for a day or or and see if the cedar still reeks. seems like a bit of a dire situation, though.

worse comes to worst, make a little tupperdor until you can get the kid to pay for a new humidor.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I think my brother have provided you with two outstanding and forthcoming options there my friend! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
All of the above! I think this is a WTF moment! How old is this kid, he is a kid correct because any cigar smoking man or woman matter of fact would have known better!
I guess the important thing is damage control. Whats the verdict?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
There are a few things that are good at getting odors out, so you can try the following:

1) Vanilla extract. Sounds odd, but take a paper tower and dip it in vanilla (or imitation), and rub it on every surface that smells. It eats up the odors, but doesn't leave any of it's own unlike cleaning products (don't use ammonia, bleach, or vinegar on wood). Let it dry in the sunlight if possible.

2) Baking soda. Kind of obvious, but put some new baking soda in a small open-top container and leave it in the closed humidor.

It might take a month or more of trial an error to fix this--and it might be that you can NEVER fix it. If it's just a 20-count, get a new one on cbid for $7. If it's bigger/nicer--I'd fall back on that "slap the kid and then make him pay for a new one" idea.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Let the humi dry completely. Take a fine sand paper and sand off a little of the sides making sure to get all the exposed wood. This will open up the cedar. Clean out the dust. Wipe with alcohol. Dry. Re-humidify. Then Might work

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Let the humi dry completely. Take a fine sand paper and sand off a little of the sides making sure to get all the exposed wood. This will open up the cedar. Clean out the dust. Wipe with alcohol. Dry. Re-humidify. Then Might work
finally..... :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would imagine any cigars not in cello would end up with a stale smoke taste to them, and after 5 hours even ones with cello might be shot. I would be kicking some ass

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Also put some activated charcoal (online or pet supply store) in there!!!!!!!!! It will help pull ANY smell out!