What's new

So I'm buying a new humidor...

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Just a little background (as I'm new here):

I used to have a tuscany humidor that I sold. Held around 140 sticks, which I kept pretty full. Most everything I had didn't get smoked until it was 12-18 months old, and sometimes up to 2-3 years. I usually smoked 1 or 2 out of a 10pack within the first month, and let the rest... well, rest. I don't smoke a ton of cigars, and am just really getting back into it after being gone for a few years.

So the question:

Do I just get another 150-200 count humidor? Or Spring for the footlocker I've been eyeing up. Don't have space for tupperdore or anything, so can't go that route and maintain it correctly. I would love to have 7-8 year old sticks to smoke, but if I go the footlocker route I KNOW I will someday have half-full boxes that are past their prime maybe.

My plan really is to only smoke 75 or so sticks per year. This also leads to another question (maybe for a different thread) of what types of sticks would age well for that long (ie would a 10 year old box of dpg blues just be taking up space, or would they be awesome)?

Suggestions???

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
It's hard for anyone to recommend what kind of humidor you should get as we don't know you, what you like and what your long term plans will be. BUT, most BOTLs that have been around long enough will most definitely recommend you get something bigger than you actually think you should get. If you are serious with this hobby and will be in it for the long haul, you will fill your humidor in no time. Some people swear by having a cooler because it gives you a lot of space for a fraction of the cost. You can get a few singles trays to put in the cooler and then have room for boxes. You can easily maintain the Rh with beads... very simple.

But some people don't like the looks of coolers and prefer a nice wood humidor. Only you can answer your own question about preference. Either way, you should look into using beads for Rh as they are very simple and you only need to mist them with distilled water every 2-3 months depending on where you live etc.

If you like to age cigars, you should definitely get something big enough to hold a few boxes.

Regarding what cigars age well? I think DPG's can age well, but not really the ones with the darker broadleaf wrapper. I have had plenty of aged Tatuaje, Liga etc where I found they were on the decline after 3 years. But, there are some outstanding DPG and Tats with more traditional wrappers that have aged well. Fuentes are stellar with age. For something cheaper but still high quality, the Padron 2000/3000 natural series are great with age. And for what I do, I smoke 99% Cubans because they age the best IMO and the flavor profile is what I prefer. But one of the reasons I went towards Cubans is because they do age much better than NC's. I don't smoke a ton and I like knowing that my cigars aren't getting worse, they are only getting better as they collect dust in my humi. :)

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would say if your going for 75 a year, and want to age years then a foot locker wouldn't be bad. You really just have to think about how full its going to be for while. Tons of empty space can make RH control an issue (all least in a coolidor, might be different with a humi) and from what I've learned you want constant temp and RH for aging. Fluctuations in either aren't beneficial.

It's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. -Raul Julia