What's new

Spanish Cedar/Alternative in Asia

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of course, spanish cedar is known to be the best wood (for the cigars) when building a humidor.

Where in the area of Singapore can one find spanish cedar? If spanish cedar is not available or too expensive, what is a viable alternative in that area? I've read about alternatives such as Honduran Mahogany and American (or Canadian) red cedar. Are these available somewhere in the area?

I would appreciate any advise my fellow brothers can offer.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
No idea dude I'm in the same boat as you I did some research some time ago and the best answer I could come up with was to use a wood which has a good tolerance for humidity (i.e. won't bloat due to excess humidity) and has a neutral odour. I'd go with any wood used in boat/ship making.

If you're in Singapore I'm sure you can go to a nearby wood shop or yard and talk to the guys there they should be able to help you find an alternate with the above characteristics.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Stay away from Red Cedar, it does have a scent. Mahogany and Spanish Cedar are the two best options. I am afraid I do not know where/if they are available in that part of the world.