What's new

Spanish cedar in tupperdor

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small tupperdor with maybe 30 sticks. A boveda 62% pack maintain a perfect 70% humidity until I put some Spanish cedar inside. I didn't know it absorbers humidity, which dropped to 62. I took the cedar out and it raised a little bit to 65. So now I really don't know what to do? Should I put a boveda 69 and a cedar stick? leave it with the boveda 62? I live in Israel and the weather is humid, even in winter.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
If you have a 62 pack and its maintaining 70, either your hygrometer is off or your sticks are still really wet. What rh do you want to be at. If you want to be at 70 then I would say go with the 69. That being said if the cedar you put in isn't seasoned it will absorb moisture and lower rh until it reaches the same rh as what it was before.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I have some pieces I removed from some boxes on the bottom of mine. They will help regulate the humidity. Try to calibrate the hygro. My advice would be to just trust the Boveda's.

By the way, I found the cigar shop you told me about. I had a blast there. Israel is a wonderful country. I would love to return one day.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Spanish Cedar is great in the long run, but will suck up humidity until it equalizes with the container it's in. Boveda sells seasoning kits to get it set, or you can just stick it in a Tupperware with a shot glass full of distilled water for a few days. Some sources say you can wipe it down directly with DW to get it done even faster, but others say that will cause the wood to swell and splinter. Shot glass has always worked quick enough for me.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Trust the boveda! The cedar will help maintain more consistent humidity levels. I'd leave it in there. As long as the bovedas aren't dried out you'll be golden

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Trust the boveda! The cedar will help maintain more consistent humidity levels. I'd leave it in there. As long as the bovedas aren't dried out you'll be golden
This.
So long as the Boveda is squishy and the box is sealed, trust the pack.
Let the cedar sit in there, it will act as a buffer against big humidity swings.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I only have a little spanish cedar boveda holder, and I don't have a hygrometer, I just trust the bovedas. I have no issues, and I've got about 95+ sticks in there. I like it how it is, but I'm definitely going to get more anal about everything once I get back home and start using the wineador.