What's new

storing boxes?

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I've been storing sticks for ages, but after converting a cabinet I now have room for boxes. In the past I always took the sticks out, but now want to leave some boxes in as is.

So I have questions. First I've got one box that came plastic wrapped, that I'm not gonna touch for a while. I'm sure it's got a humi pack inside, do I leave the plastic on or not?

For the rest of the boxes should I leave the boxes cracked so air can get in and out, or leave them sealed. And, if I leave them sealed do I need to put a humi pack or something inside the boxes to make sure they are maintained?

Any advice appreciated, my humi is temp controled so I don't think the potential of bugs spreading if I get visitors is a concern, just humidity.

Thanks in advance.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
If they come in plastic, remove it. For long term storage you do not need to crack the lids. If you're afraid the boxes might be over/under humidified coming in, you can crack the box to let them acclimate to the new environment, but I would only do that for a couple of weeks at the most. After that they're acclimated and you don't need it. Keeping the box closed will help insulate the sticks from the minor changes to the environment from opening an closing the humi and shield it from any problems you might have with short term humidity issues.

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I honestly keep the humidipaks in my humi, but out of the box, to keep them fresh. That way I have them when I take a long trip or need to send something a long way. Just my 2 cents.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If they come in plastic, remove it. For long term storage you do not need to crack the lids. If you're afraid the boxes might be over/under humidified coming in, you can crack the box to let them acclimate to the new environment, but I would only do that for a couple of weeks at the most. After that they're acclimated and you don't need it. Keeping the box closed will help insulate the sticks from the minor changes to the environment from opening an closing the humi and shield it from any problems you might have with short term humidity issues.
I agree. Also when I go to local cigar shops, I see numerous boxes of cigars stocked on shelves above the ones on display. Those boxes stay closed and wrapped in cello until needed (which could be for months in some cases) and it doesn't effect them. Even the stockpiles of boxes in the large warehouse humidors are sealed and some may sit there for who knows how long. I don't think the boxes (even wrapped) restrict humidity transfer like humidors do so they will acclimate to the cabinet humidity. I would think this is taken into consideration by the manufacturers and like Altercall suggested insulation from minor fluctuations in the environment would be a plus.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I honestly keep the humidipaks in my humi, but out of the box, to keep them fresh. That way I have them when I take a long trip or need to send something a long way. Just my 2 cents.
Same here, I have an old cigar box in the bottom of my humidor that always has a couple dozen in there. Then when I pack my otter box, I slide one in the bottom.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Are they wrapped in plastic or in cello? Cello will breath and they will be fine. If the box came in the the mail packed in a plastic bag or shrink wrapped in plastic for shipping, take it out of the shipping bag for storage.

I take the humi packs out of the boxes when they arrive and keep them in one of my 15 count otter boxes. They are sealed, stay fresh and are great to use in any of the otter boxes when traveling.

Altercall

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Simply put, if it looks like the plastic is melted at the seams, its sealed. If it looks like it's folded over itself to close it, its cello. The cello won't hurt and I sometimes leave it on. If it starts to come undone I'll take it off, though. Like Chuck said, you need to take plastic off, though.