What's new

Storing cigars in the cellophane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a Cigar Caddy 3500 (15 cigar humidor). Nothing ridiculous, but enough to get my collection started.

So I started to put my few cigars in it, and thought...do I keep them in or take them out of the wrapper? I would imagine take them out of the wrapper, however I also think if they are in the wrapper they are more likely to keep in moisture for whenever I open the top to grab a cigar.

Input?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
There are a number of threads on this. It boils down to personal preference really. Some like to take 'em out, some keep 'em in. The cello breathes. I will say that the cello will help protect the cigar wrapper from being damaged some during storage.

Dan

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Personal preference. They do fine in cello, and if you take care of them, they do fine out of it (easier to damage)

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
The real concern you have, is transporting them. You've mentioned all sorts of travels involving this case, and if that's the situation-you don't want celloed cigars rubbing against cigars that are are not in cello. You will quickly ruin the cigars that are not wrapped.

Since I live out of a 30 count cigar caddy, I always take the cello off of my cigars.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
This is the oldest question amongst newer cigar smokers.

General rule of thumb, store them as you get them.

Cigars will get just as much moisture in cello as they do out of it, it's permeable.

My preference, I don't buy cigars so they look cool in my humidor or travel humidor, I buy them to smoke them. I enjoy them much more when they are in good condition as I cut/light/smoke them. Because of this, I NEVER take a cigar out of the cello until I'm ready to smoke it, there's just no reason to do so.

As someone who's worked in a cigar shop for years, 99% of damaged cigars do NOT have cello on them. 90% of cigars that get mold, do not have cello on them.

In the end, they're your cigars, do what you want with them.

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Cigars will get just as much moisture in cello as they do out of it, it's permeable.

My preference, I don't buy cigars so they look cool in my humidor or travel humidor, I buy them to smoke them. I enjoy them much more when they are in good condition as I cut/light/smoke them. Because of this, I NEVER take a cigar out of the cello until I'm ready to smoke it, there's just no reason to do so.

As someone who's worked in a cigar shop for years, 99% of damaged cigars do NOT have cello on them. 90% of cigars that get mold, do not have cello on them.

+1 :thumbsup: Store them as they come

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0

Agreed :cbig:

stephen_hannibal

stephen_hannibal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said sir. The only cigars I've ever had trouble with in my humi are the ones that don't have cello.
I don't keep extra cello on hand so when I get a smoke sans cello I store then separately in a small ziplock.

Sent using smoke signals.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I tend to come down on the other side of this one... I'm not a fan of the cello.

Yes, you do have to be more careful storing them such that they do not become damaged, but I'd presume that most of us are exercising that degree of care anyway.

While I can't attest to the chemistry of water, air or other molecular permeability through cellophane, it doesn't take a lot of observation to tell you that it occurs faster with the cello removed. (Wikipedia - the indisputable sum of all human knowledge - does state that it has low permeability to air, making it good for food storage. And yes, I know that it's open at the bottom, so don't feel as though you have to belabor that point.)

For example, I detect ammonia characteristics regularly in cello'd sticks - even those that have rested in my humi for months - and almost never in my uncello'd sticks. Maybe the NH3 doesn't move through the cello as readily as other molecules, or maybe it's just an issue of airflow (or of something else entirely, as I haven't looked at chemistry since High School, and I was crap then, too).

So... I'd argue that the free flow of air across a nekkid stick gets the cigar into smoking/resting/aging condition more effectively, and that doing so is worth the risk that I'll crack, drop or sneeze on my sticks.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I tend to come down on the other side of this one... I'm not a fan of the cello.

Yes, you do have to be more careful storing them such that they do not become damaged, but I'd presume that most of us are exercising that degree of care anyway.

While I can't attest to the chemistry of water, air or other molecular permeability through cellophane, it doesn't take a lot of observation to tell you that it occurs faster with the cello removed. (Wikipedia - the indisputable sum of all human knowledge - does state that it has low permeability to air, making it good for food storage. And yes, I know that it's open at the bottom, so don't feel as though you have to belabor that point.)

For example, I detect ammonia characteristics regularly in cello'd sticks - even those that have rested in my humi for months - and almost never in my uncello'd sticks. Maybe the NH3 doesn't move through the cello as readily as other molecules, or maybe it's just an issue of airflow (or of something else entirely, as I haven't looked at chemistry since High School, and I was crap then, too).

So... I'd argue that the free flow of air across a nekkid stick gets the cigar into smoking/resting/aging condition more effectively, and that doing so is worth the risk that I'll crack, drop or sneeze on my sticks.
I'm with Max on this. Cello is for protection during shipping IMO.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0

... +1 :headroll:

Rating - 100%
19   0   0

You presume correct - at least in my case. I think I exercise an inordinate amount of care. However, while not 100%, I can tell you that pretty consistenly, nekkid sticks suffer damage - cello'd ones don't. I admit to having a little more luck with Cubans - but that is because I tend to leave them in original boxes longer - individual sticks don't generally get handled as much as NC's, which may get moved between humidors and trays more frequently.
I don't buy into the above about ammonia in cello'd cigars or the rest of it either. I think it'd be ok to clip the cello to the foot if you think it'll help. I don't bother, but not a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.