What's new

Strange Phenomena with Humidity

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I open the door on my humidor (fridge turned into humidor) the humidity increases. I have three hygrometers in there (one at the top, middle and bottom) and all three show an increase. I understand why there would be an increase because if RH outside of the humidor is greater than inside and vice versa it will change, but the strange thing is the hygros show an immediate increase. Within seconds of opening the door the percentages on the hygros start going up.

Anyone else see this happen with their humidors?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how much different is the humidity in the humidor versus the humidity outside the humidor? If it is a real drastic change maybe it would change that quick. I notice that mine changes real quick but it goes down

Bigdankcloud

I read your bs... alot
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if it is really cool in there and a warm humid gust of air hits cool things condensation could be your culprit.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
digital hygros are fast. Mine change within seconds of opening a bin as well, and I have thin plasstic bins so the temp chnage is not an issue.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the responses fellas. To answer the questions, yes the fridge is running as a cooling unit, but the dial is set as low as it will go without being off. Temperature is in the low 60s. I put one of the hygrometers outside of the humidor to get an external reading. So far it's reading around 68 to 70%.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanx for the responses fellas. To answer the questions, yes the fridge is running as a cooling unit, but the dial is set as low as it will go without being off. Temperature is in the low 60s. I put one of the hygrometers outside of the humidor to get an external reading. So far it's reading around 68 to 70%.
What the temp on the outside? Probably just the warm moist air meeting the cooler dryer air.

---
- Sent from my personal space using my iPhone