What's new

Stuff in my humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the humidification devices in my humidor, and filled the humidor, and when I went to rearrange it last night there was this white powder on the wood, and the cello of the cigars. Not on the cigar itself, just the cello. But it was only on the cigars next to the humidifiers. i am assuming its from the over humidification in that area, but what is the substance? And how can I clean it so I can get my smokes back in?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Its mold, wipe them down and buy some beads. If the mold gets into the cigar you might as well toss them.

As for the humidor, you can probably just clean it up with a cloth and some water, you should only be using distilled water in there btw...

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
if it looks like condensation on the celo...that might b all that it is. 2 shops by my house have this every summer when the humidity outside rises. if it is fuzzy...mold. just odd how quick it spouted up for you.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
just a thought if you were not using distilled water it could be solid particles left over from the water, but like 25 said. buy some beads. Bovedas don't last forever, and beads do, they are worth the investment.

Matt Z

CRA Ambassador for RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've noticed is that hydrogen peroxide works well as an add in for beads, I had 2 sets of humi-care gel sets go bad on me and I couldn't figure out why. I converted my active humidifier from foam to gel crystals when the foam got moldy, put a cap full of hydro in each time I Refull the beads and I haven't had ANY recurrences anywhere in the chest, and for the smell, it isn't enough hyrdogen to impose any of it's scent.