What's new

Stupid Newbie Question - Plastic Cigar Sleeves

BigDaddyJohn

Big Daddy John
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I just got a humidor and it is set up and at the proper RH and everything. This weekend I'm going to put a bunch of cigars in there.

I've heard I should take them out of the plastic sleeves you buy them in. I've heard you should leave them in.

So - what's the convention wisdom on this?

Signed - John, A stupid newbie!!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
my friend, that s a debate that has gone on for years. It is totally up to you. some people leave them on to protect the wrappers, some enjoy non cello humi's. I enjoy the non cello myself, but have ove the years suffered wrapper damage. So I have started going cello on. Either way there is no difference in humidity or aging of the cigars. its all what you choose to do.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
my friend, that s a debate that has gone on for years. It is totally up to you. some people leave them on to protect the wrappers, some enjoy non cello humi's. I enjoy the non cello myself, but have ove the years suffered wrapper damage. So I have started going cello on. Either way there is no difference in humidity or aging of the cigars. its all what you choose to do.
I'm with Donk on this except there is no debate, the above is the definitive word imho!

This is a question we will see for many years as the BOTL herd grows....the answer will remain the same.

BigDaddyJohn

Big Daddy John
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my Brothers - I had to ask . . . . But I enjoy the spirited responses!!

PS - I'm really enjoying my new humidor (actually I've ended up with several) and I've got several shipments of awesome cigars I'm loading in. mmmmmmmm . . . . .

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
From what I have been told...the cello slows the aging process. A slower aging process is supposed to be a more refined aging process. So, I leave them on. In all honesty though...if you plan on smoking them in the next couple years I really doubt it matters.

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I leave it on. I was taught to leave it on. I can't see it being a problem. It doesn't affect the cigar in ways of humidity or aging. I also take into consideration that the factory must have a reason for doing so. The bonus is that it protects the cigar if you don't want to smoke it immediately. I was also taught to leave the smokes in the box for numerous reasons (storage permitting). Its all subjective and this is mostly my opinion.
Plus I like to see a tasty yellow cello after letting them sit.

I asked the same question when I was new to this place.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I find that eating cello make that first movement inthe morning sooooo much easier.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I think the answer is do whatever you want.

But if you do leave it on and you are aging then it turns a nice yellowed color which you can tell at a glance that its good and aged.