What's new

Substitute bags for KL

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Recently a fellow BOTLer sent me around 4 pounds of KL so I can control the humidity in my 2 humidors "easier". The KL absorb the excess humidity i've had for the past months. Having a normal RH of 80% in my room, it is hard to keep the humidors below 70% or 69%. I tried to search for mesh bags in my city but it has been hard to find them...someone recommended me "pantyhose" but does that really works? I cut a small part and filled it with Exquisicat KL, sprayed water on 10% of the beads and closed the pantyhose (BTW, when the beads got wet, they sounded like effervescent tablets do when dropped on water, is that normal?). I haven't checked the hygro, but will that work?

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I used some of the wife's old pantyhose for a while, and recently switched to mesh bags they sell for holding aquarium filter material (activated charcoal and the like). I prefer the mesh bags, the weave is a little more open.

Any large chain pet store usually has the bags in stock. They will run you $1 - $5 bucks depending on the size. 4" x 8" holds 1/2 pound of beads very nicely with plenty of room to tie it off.

Mesh1.jpgMesh2.jpg

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Anything that breathes easily should work fine, so pantyhose is not a problem.

Edit - just reread the thread and remembered you were speaking specifically of kitty litter, disregard my advice. :)

I have no idea about KL.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
KL works best when the surface area is exposed...meaning you want a shallow dish or receptacle that holds the KL but will expose as much surface area as you can. Be creative when you look for something to hold the KL...in my humidors I cut the bottom portion of a plastic cup or "stole" some tupperware from the wifes kitchen that is 3x4 inches...filled it up with KL and didn't spray any DW until I took a reading...it was at 65% so I didn't need to spray anything. If your reading was at 80 then leave the KL alone...it will soak up the RH. The only time you'll want to spray your KL is when the RH gets under 62% or if you like your RH at 65% then just a couple of sprays.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
If you're using the KL to lower the humidity don't spray it. I used panty hose when I tried KL and it worked okay. My issue with the KL has been a dusting of silica flakes all over the cigars and humidor so I'd opt for some sort of plastic tray or similar item if I did them again. With beads if you try to refresh them too quickly they can crack, which I think is what happened to the KL thus the flakes :dunno:. Yes, they do sound effervescent when water gets on 'em.

Dan