What's new

Switching from HF's to Boveda...help with magnets

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Ok guys I'm sure someone has done this before, but my concern is primarily over the magnets I want to use. Let me
give you guys the low down.

I originally started out using HF beads (70%RH) in this 150 ct. Humidor. I removed the green foam and cut panty hose out and placed just the right amount of HF beads as would fit into the existing Savoy humidifier case. Well humidor is holding steady at 70-71%RH, but that wood smell just isn't there anymore. Regardless of whether your a fan of Boveda or HF I'm still pretty set on switching back to Boveda which I know has proven itself in previous humidor applications.

Here's the problem. I have 2 Boveda Wooden holder that'll each hil 2 backs each I figured I would put them on the lid where the existing humidification is and one 4 pack Boveda holder that I was going to stow below on the bottom of the humidor as well.

My issue: the existing metal plates that hold the current humidification on to my lid are small and I don't want any issues with the Boveda wooden trays falling.
My solution: I had these extremely strong N52 Neodymium Disc Magnets that will
Hold anything metallic to anything else metallic. I know they are strong enough that's not an issue these things are crazy strong...but my question is ARE THOSE MAGNETS SAFE TO USE IN MY HUMIDOR. I just want to make sure there will
Be no weird chemical reaction from the Neodymium as I do not know a whole lot of info about the magnets themselves, just that they are strong AF. Hope the images help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I used 3m picture hanging strips in my tupperdore for my holder. They are like Velcro and can be removed easily. I also use on one of my hygrometers now on the front of one of the trays in my wineador.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I used 3m picture hanging strips in my tupperdore for my holder. They are like Velcro and can be removed easily. I also use on one of my hygrometers now on the front of one of the trays in my wineador.

See I was thinking of Velcro too because I have some laying around that I use on my pistol range bag, but since the metal is already there I don't want to pry it off. If I had a clean slate I would consider velcro but I'm kind of set with the metal plates that came in the Savoy.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I've seen several humidors, boxes, and traveldors that use little neo mags.. I have one holding a hygro in one of my humidors, so I'd assume it's ok.. I haven't noticed any side effects side effects

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So the HF beads are absorbing the cedar smell??? and I've got an order coming. Guess I'll put em in the tupperdor.
Yeah I mean I had heard this too right after I ordered them and thought well maybe it was someone else's and it won't happen to mine but sure enough it did happen just like everyone else was saying it would. I mean you can still smell the wood but that aroma you got when you open the humidor...that knock you in the face cedar smell (you know what I mean) it's not there and I just love that smell. So, then I wonder if it's not here what other smells in the cigar could those beads be absorbing. Idk maybe other people have had different experiences with the HF's and it's a shame I have a lb of 70%'s and a 1/2 lb of 65%'s that I literally bought 3-4 weeks ago

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I've seen several humidors, boxes, and traveldors that use little neo mags.. I have one holding a hygro in one of my humidors, so I'd assume it's ok.. I haven't noticed any side effects side effects
Glad to hear someone else has experience with this neo mags. I figured they'd be alright but you guys on this forum just know way more then I do about all things Cigar and cigar accessory relate that I figured it'd be stupid not to check in on this. Thanks!