What's new

Taking the plunge in SG - (wineador advice for humid-hot climate much appreciated!)

Sandlotter

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thanks to all the photos and tips I have been seeing / reading around here, resolved to get myself kitted up with a wineador some weeks back...

Finally tracked down one (after weeks of looking and calling manufacturers) that wasn't too expensive and most importantly available in Singapore

There are limited thermoelectric models here (normally too small) + most of the brands mentioned don't get sold here at all (tried Newair, Vinotemp, Haier), although to be fair was able to get Vinotemp to quote me from their Hong Kong office and they were very helpful, just didn't think the cost to ship was worth it

The model I finally settled on is a LuCell LW218 from a very small distributor that is similar in looks and size to the Haier 18

Have pics and measurements I already sent to Forrest for some ideas... feeling like christmas right about now and I havent even ordered yet! Also have some ready made trays from CheapHumidors already on the way as an interim measure - Will post pics and stats when I finally get more done

In the meantime any advice from brothers who have experience setting up Wineadors in hot humid places would be much appreciated, still thinking on the below before I order the drawers in case I need to build around them:
(i) the need for fans since the LW218 has 2 built in fans - top and bottom (ii) whether to put in an ETC (iii) potential drainage / condensation issues, set-up

For humidity regulation, being overeager I have beads, Boveda packs and kitty litter all on standby

cheers
jb

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I live in S. MS where the humidity is off the charts and the summer temps are 100 deg +. I have an edgestar and the ETC controller. I use heartfelt beads and am able to maintain 70 deg and 65% humidity pretty much year round. the edgestar internal control, at least on the one i have, did not go up to 70 deg so that is why i have the etc. I don't have to recharge the beads very often and have been very pleased with the purchase. I had to get a fan because I only have the one fan up top. I would say set it up and see what your humidity is on top and bottom and if it stays consistent then you won't need fans. Congrats on the find you will definitely enjoy it.

Sandlotter

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:
So far so good, cooler turned out to be a dual zone, despite being sold as a single which explains the 2 fans in hindsight... wanted to also check out how the cooler would behave first (max min temps etc) before doing any more work so didn't plug up the drain hole and put in some shelves and beads from cheaphumidor as an intermediate step and got myself an oregon scientific wireless thermo hygrometer to monitor both zones remotely without opening the cooler

its been about 30 hrs so far with shelves and c.2.0 pounds of beads in (1 pound in each section) and humidity has stabilised rock solid at 68% temp range 65% to 68%, the last twenty or so times I checked. Nice smell of spanish cedar starting to permeate through the box as well

Probably will observe for a few more days before deciding next steps:
- may raise the RH to compensate for the slightly cool temp
- Might cut away the centre divider shelf and merge the dual zone cooler into a large single for more flex
- Might be obsessed enough to buy one of those dataloggers to track the RH during the day while I am at work, so any recos would be much appreciated

cheers,
jb

Lionel

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for digging up an old thread but I'm in SG too and looking to upgrade (to a 120 bottle condenser unit) Anyone here in a similar environment where the ambient temp is high (28-29c) with high humidity around 80%?

Some tips would be appreciated because I'm having issues managing my 27btl thermo! I use HF beads and boveda.