What's new

Teak wood OK?

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Not Ron but sure will and should look mighty handsome too, Hey Thanks for everything this holiday I will smoke one for all you and your honor! Get home soon safe and sound!

Dave

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just in case you didn't know there are several members on various boards whole build drawers and shelves out of Spanish cedar that are pretty cheap and also very handsome. Waxingmoon is one of several.

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
thanks for the insight i will keep that in mind. when it comes to outfitting it, i think im going to go with the teak shelves though cause there made to go right into it and they look really nice, but hopefully i will be able to get some trays and such made out of spanish cedar to go in it

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sounds good but they also are made to fit into most basic models. hope you have a good smoke on Monday and Again brother Thanks!

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
i was thinking it comes with 6 shelves but i would like it to be like this lets see my skills here haha, the O's will be shelf slots

O--__

O --__ this shelf would take the top 2 slots to be angled downward

O--__

O --__ same as the shelf above

O_________ flat shelf for boxes

O_________ flat shelf for boxes

i think that would be pretty neat but seems like it would be pretty difficult

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
First off, Thank you for your service!

I'd be happy to work with you if you need it. I'm not really following your drawing or the angled part. Of course I haven't had coffee yet so that may be the problem too. :)

Here is one example of the drawers/shelves I've built for the Edgestar cooler you're looking at:

Give me an idea of what it is you'd like to do with yours.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
if i could find someone to build 2 shelves that angle down with a lip that would be sweet but i just think it would be hard to do without someone actully having the cooler there to test stuff
Sorry Brother didn't mean to leave you hanging I fell asleep damn old guy's. Above is a good idea of what I mentioned these guy's have the dimensions already some even have the sample unit to use as a jig. either way you go good luck and you made a good choice.

Dave

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
wow golf, that is much much nicer than what i had invisioned mine looking like when done haha, i like this alot. if i were to go with somthing just like that picture, would you be able to make like stackable trays to go on the shelves that fit in there real nicely. like mabye 6 trays, 2 wide and 3 high or somthing just brain storming here was also thinking of mabye having like cubbies and each cubby being able to hold 20-25 sticks just let me know what ya think or if im confusing you haha

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 28 Avanti Winecooler and was thinking the same thing. What wood would be the best for storage of smokes?

Thanks!

Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Golf, you do very nice work. I am thinking of getting the very same Edgestar, just for storing boxes, since I already have another humidor for my singles and dont need drawers, just shelves. Would you be able to make shelves of spanish cedar and ship to Singapore?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
wow golf, that is much much nicer than what i had invisioned mine looking like when done haha, i like this alot. if i were to go with somthing just like that picture, would you be able to make like stackable trays to go on the shelves that fit in there real nicely. like mabye 6 trays, 2 wide and 3 high or somthing just brain storming here was also thinking of mabye having like cubbies and each cubby being able to hold 20-25 sticks just let me know what ya think or if im confusing you haha
Best to just have some dividers made for the drawers, most people use the drawers for singles and the shelves for boxes. Then you find yourself playing tetris from there, lol.

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
Best to just have some dividers made for the drawers, most people use the drawers for singles and the shelves for boxes. Then you find yourself playing tetris from there, lol.
the reason for cubbies is cause this will be used as my main humidor, as all i have is a 30-50 ct traveler and a 15 to throw in the car when im home, also it is going in my lounge and will be sitting on the end of the bar so im not going to be stacking alot of boxes in it, and i think diamond shaped cubbies that hold 20-25 cigars would be a great way to display them and i have a really good idea in my head but dont know how to explain it haha

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
the reason for cubbies is cause this will be used as my main humidor, as all i have is a 30-50 ct traveler and a 15 to throw in the car when im home, also it is going in my lounge and will be sitting on the end of the bar so im not going to be stacking alot of boxes in it, and i think diamond shaped cubbies that hold 20-25 cigars would be a great way to display them and i have a really good idea in my head but dont know how to explain it haha
now I'm more confused, lol. :hysterica

Click on GolfNut's name in his previous post and "view more posts" and you can see some of the different styles he has done. Some nice looking work!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a teak 2 finger travel case that most people say stinks and ask why I would put my smokes in it. Since they normally only stay in there for an hour or two usually, it has no effect on the taste of the cigar, but I don't know if I would want to use teak for long-term storage.
Maybe someone here has had long-term experience with it and can chime in, but it definitely has a strong, pungent aroma that is completely different than Spanish cedar.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
i think as of now im going to end up getting one of these fine gentlemen to make me some shelves/drawers, to go into my edgestar imma get when i get home
You won't regret that decision. I had a VinoTemp with custom drawers and shelf and loved it. I now have a smaller 16 bottle VinoTemp that holds boxes and I plan on getting another 16 bottle when I find a good deal (got the first one for $50) and outfit it with GolfNuts drawers. Should be a cool setup.