What's new

Temp question (ETC controller)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So I added the ETC yesterday and it ha been performing like a champ for the last couple days. I have this nagging notion in my head so Im going to put it out there for some thoughts.

I set the ETC for 68 with a +/- variance of 3.
For those that don't know how this device works... it lets the wineador warm up to 71 then kicks on until it cools down to 68 then shuts off. The cycle repeats as many times as necessary 24/7.

In my mind those #s are good. Max temp of 71, low temp of 68 (unless it freezes here inside and I doubt that). I feel like Im thinking about this too much and at the same time I don't want to burn it out and more importantly I don't want to shock my cigars with drastic temp swings. I don't think 3 degrees is a drastic temp swing but if its doing it multiple times daily thats where I start to doubt myself.

What are your thoughts?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
From the instructions for the ETC "When the cooling mode is chosen, the differential is above the set point. The relay will de energize as the temperature falls to the set point".

That makes me think that it kicks on at 71 and shuts off at 68 (based on my settings).

I should also clarify....its a Ranco ETC 111000 single stage controller.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
When you say "+/- ", by definition that means your setting can go up or down that variance which is why people say it can go down to 65. If your ETC is set to cool until it gets to your 68 setting that's fine, but it is different than stating a +/- variance.

And, you are over thinking it. 3 degrees either way is totally fine on cigars. What do you have your house temp set at? Living in the Seattle area we definitely don't need A/C during these Winter months so I literally turn my temp control off until it starts to warm up again. I can't imagine you keep your house 72+ degrees do you? If not, I personally wouldn't even bother with having your fridge plugged in during the Winter. I had a couple wine fridges before my cabinet and just had them unplugged from October to June basically, lol.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
If the +/- threw you guys off then my bad.

Our little condo has always run warm. We rarely run the heater even when the outside temps get to the 40s. I left the wineador unplugged one day and came home to a 75 degree wineador after only being gone about six hours. Thats the reason I added the ETC sooner than I expected.