What's new

Temperature

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
OK guys walk-in is going and is maintained 65/66% for a week but the temp stays 56°/60° is that gonna be an issue even when the humidity is at a good level? What temp is not safe and staying at that humidity level? Thanks for any info guys:)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great question Rev.
I'll keep my my eye on this.
Fluctuation, I would assume is the enemy, and consistency is good. Gradual up and down like a cellar vs like the trunk of my Lincoln mark vII :)

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks guys wasn't sure if I needed to try and try raise it 'temp' a lil bit

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My handful of cigars was out in my car for a while in the cold the other night.. Michigan Cold is cold so ehh... I'm hoping that the 6 hours of being in the cold isn't going to bring any damage when I rehumidify them back in a normal conditioned area.

No matter how many boveda packets I put in though, it stays at 68/69 not 65/65 <.<.

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just a note; you have to remember that when the temp. goes down, it becomes harder to hold humidity. So, for example, (just as a reference) if you have air at -40 (I know it's a rediculous temp, it's just for an example here) and the humidity is at 70%, if you brought that exact same air up in temp to 70 degrees F, it would read a lot less humidity. It would most likely read in the 20-30% humidity range. The reason for this is that the cold air can only retain so much moisture, where warmer air can suspend a lot more moisture before it needs to drop out.
So, to kind of tie up this rambling, if you have 55 degree air in your humi, it's not a horrible thing, but it will be deceiving with humidity because it will not be able to suspend the same amount of moisture. This temperature is so close that I wouldn't worry, but I personally (not like I am an expert here, just another enthusiast) might bring that humidity up a couple points just in case to 67 %.
Just my opinion
Congrats on your walk in !!

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ty zed I been leaving it at 67%/68% and its been smoking good. Some Illusione need the dry box a lil before smoking as do a few others but still watching it since its my first walk-in.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
yep, lower temps are just fine.

Congrats on the walk-in, did u build it yourself? Any pics/thread... if so, I somehow missed it and would love to see. :)

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Converted a walk-in closet. Hung blue board sealed it with a good paint let it air out a month or so hung a 15 light door and hung wire shelves installed a humidifier system and viola :) I'm not into to much Spanish cedar overkill I got 8 custom trays me and free bird made in there but I think the boxes the company packs them in is good for me. I spent about a half hr in there earlier I just enjoy the aroma it has in there way to much. Lol

rev.b

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
As far as pics go I'll start a thread of my demise with the travel humi I started with all the desk tops and coolers to now. I wanna do it before it gets to stocked up;)

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Temps should not be extreme from one week to the next as that can cause issues with the wrapper. It's RH that gets attention because of beetles and keeping cigars in that 62 - 68% range is what keeps tobacco thriving while it still ferments. The yoyo effect is what causes so many problems...try to keep a stable environment.....for temps a 6% variance is fine and for RH a 3% variance is fine as well. Anything over this causes our burn problems..swelling..canoeing...tunneling and other assorted issues.