What's new

The board has been quick to help

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
As I stated in my intro post my cigar knowledge is almost nonexistent. I had planned to find a good humidor but after reading some have seen the error of those ways. I'll be getting a good tupperdor going in the next few days. Will update as it goes but I am curious, I was planning on getting heartfelt beads but see so much about bovedas. Would they be better or should I stick with the beads?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I would throw a third option into the mix... Kitty litter. I built my first tupperdor with heartfelt beads and it has worked great, virtually maintenance free and still spot on after almost a year. However after reading the threads here I have used Kitty Litter for two more tupperdor a and a coolidor since then and have had the same great results at a fraction of the price. Bovedas are great but the will dry out and while they can be "recharged" it's a little more tedious and time consuming than maintenance on KL or beads. Just my $.02

In fact in hindsight, I think the most important thing I learned was patience. Take the time to calibrate your hygro right, and give it time to acclimate. Don't stress if it drops a couple of points when you open it or if the temp drops in the room. They are all great humidifier options, just adjust slowly and let it settle.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
For a tupperadore... I would 100% say boveda...

youre looking at a relatively small sized box... a single 65 RH boveda can handle most tupperware no problem.. it will take minimal space (more room for cigars).. requires zero maintenance (KL and beads both require some, although minimal..)... and is cheap ($3ish)...

When youre ready to step up to something larger.. thats when I would start thinking about KL or beads..

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
For a tupperadore... I would 100% say boveda...

youre looking at a relatively small sized box... a single 65 RH boveda can handle most tupperware no problem.. it will take minimal space (more room for cigars).. requires zero maintenance (KL and beads both require some, although minimal..)... and is cheap ($3ish)...

When youre ready to step up to something larger.. thats when I would start thinking about KL or beads..

Aaaaaaannnd, you can rehydrate them quickly.

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had great success with using Mimi kitty litter from Walmart in my tupperdor, which is on the larger size. Also invest in a good hygrometer. I got a digital one off Cbid for $7.

Boveda (65%-69%) if ur going for a smaller tupperdor.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I'll look more at the bovedas then. So with kitty litter it absorbs and releases moisture? I was thinking it would absorb but not release to a specific RH.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'll look more at the bovedas then. So with kitty litter it absorbs and releases moisture? I was thinking it would absorb but not release to a specific RH.
My Experience with Kitty Litter (Exquisicat Crystals) has been the same as Heartfelt beads. I put a tray in the bottom of the Rubbermaid type container
(think the brand may be Ziploc actually, but same difference) spritzed it a couple of times with DW till the crystals started turnign clear and then sealed it up. Within a day the Hygro read 64% and hasn't budged more than a point or two in either direction. I believe it is 16 qt storage container.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lmao .. dude we are thinking about moving.. and when looking at houses the one thing i'm looking for in the footprint is.. IS IT BIG ENOUGH FOR A WALK IN HUMI?!?!?
just make sure to buy a 2 story...

always unused space under the stairs to build a walk in...

doesnt infringe on the she-devils square footage.... so there's no argument :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0