What's new

The First Humidor.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Okay, So I'm new here, but I've done my research (I think). It's about that time I invest in a humidor and start building a "little" stash. I wan't something that has a decent amount of space, but that is also affordable. Ideally I would like to go with either an Edgestar 28 bottle or a Vinotemp, but both of those are a little outside the budget at the moment.

Here's what I'm thinking of converting into a "coolidor":
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-1.7-Thermoelectric-Cooler/5811291

It's a Haier 1.7 cu ft Thermoelectric "mini fridge".

It doesn't have Tons of room, but I think for a first humidor it's a good start.
I want something temperature controlled, because I live in Orlando, and it gets pretty hot here, even indoors at times.

Has anyone converted one of these into a humidor? Anyone have any feedback? Am I overlooking something? Thanks!

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation. This was what I was planning on doing, but I figured it didn't hurt to check here!

Now to go figure out what to fill it with...

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
looks like it should work. only thing is how good is it at holding a steady temp and will it be too low for storing your cigars. that's why wine fridge are ideal cause of the steady temp they hold. but it's worth a shot

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
a couple things...you are going to lose some storage due to the shelves on the door, unless you use the door to store a box or 2.

Also my guess is the maximum temp will be too cold for cigar storage. You may need to get an external temp controller to keep it a bit warmer.

Also lots of crappy reviews.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hm.. Yea Craigslist looks like the best option, I had been checking the past few weeks, but I think I was too narrow in my searching.

Thanks for all the input and help guys, I'll let you know what happens.