What's new

Thermo Electric Desktop Humidors.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Guys I was browsing the Patent applications and saw some neat desktop Thermoelectric cooled desktop humidors. They may be in our future!
Definitely a must for us in the hotter climates (AZ)

Last edited:

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Kind of cool but like plush is saying, i don't see the point of getting a thermoelectric 50 count desktop. If you are at the point where you care that much about what temp your cigars are stored at you probably have a lot more than 50 cigars.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
What I am saying is the future of humidors in all sizes may be predominantly "cooled" ones. Where now it is not common to find them.

I'm sure most of us have more than one humidor including a smaller desktop. I find it more convenient for me to grab a stick from the desktop than digging it out of the box in the larger humidor. I have to stick it (desktop)in my Vinodor in the summer:ccowboy:

Last edited:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
What I am saying is the future of humidors in all sizes may be predominantly "cooled" ones. Where now it is not common to find them.
I'm sure most of us have more than one humidor including a smaller desktop.:ccowboy:
I get what you are saying... But at the price of this thing... you could likely end up with a larger wine cooler...
Things that are designed for cigar specific bring up the price quite a bit... A wine cooler is affordable, and can be the perfect home for cigars with little investment...

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just to clear things up a bit here...

This patent is not directed solely to desktop humidors. In this regard, the claims (metes and bounds) of the patent are not limited by size; but, by required elements, e.g., direct current source, digital display. In other words, this could be interpreted as covering a larger unit.

On the other hand, this patent would be very easy to design around. For example, in order to avoid infringing this, one would simply provide a cooled humidor without a digital display, or without a digital display connected in the manner recited in the claims. There are several other ways to avoid infringing this patent.

I think that the bottom line here is that thermo-electrically cooled humidors are known and used. Hopefully, as technology advances, we can look forward to less expensive commercially produced units in all sizes.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Just to clear things up a bit here...

This patent is not directed solely to desktop humidors. In this regard, the claims (metes and bounds) of the patent are not limited by size; but, by required elements, e.g., direct current source, digital display. In other words, this could be interpreted as covering a larger unit.

On the other hand, this patent would be very easy to design around. For example, in order to avoid infringing this, one would simply provide a cooled humidor without a digital display, or without a digital display connected in the manner recited in the claims. There are several other ways to avoid infringing this patent.

I think that the bottom line here is that thermo-electrically cooled humidors are known and used. Hopefully, as technology advances, we can look forward to less expensive commercially produced units in all sizes.
Terribly written patent. Far too specific to prevent infringement. That's why if you do some digging there are literally hundreds of cooled humidor patents that have been issued. It makes the landscape treacerous for folks who are seriously interested in innovating the marketplace.

But... you can't infringe on a patent by making and marketing drawers that happen to fit inside an existing product in the marketplace!

IMO - We will not see this technology hit mainstream market in an affordable way for quite some time. As long as the few prodcers in the space are protedted by their patents and their high dollar lawyers, it would be hard for anyone other than another cooling product company to compete.

Although, we may see some interesting affordable products hit the market which "retrofit" existing boxes and cabinets... I know of at least one dude, who's working on bringing that to life. :)