What's new

Thinking about a wineador...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I am bouncing around the idea of going to a wineador. My issue is that if I get one my wife actually wants to put wine in it (who woulda thunk it). So I have been looking at 18 bottle dual zone units, 6 on top 12 on bottom. I would put cigars on bottom and the 6 on top would be for wine. I see some units with wooden shelving but I am pretty sure they aren't spanish cedar, but they look nice. Would other types of wood work for our application or hurt things at all? Or I can just go with metal shelving and get some boxes from the local b&m for storage? Still just tossing around the idea and may just keep buying tupperware for my expanding collection in the mean time. Thanks brothers, have a great weekend!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
So I am bouncing around the idea of going to a wineador. My issue is that if I get one my wife actually wants to put wine in it (who woulda thunk it). So I have been looking at 18 bottle dual zone units, 6 on top 12 on bottom. I would put cigars on bottom and the 6 on top would be for wine.
That would actually work, if you don't want much space. 12-bottles won't give you a lot of room for expansion.

I see some units with wooden shelving but I am pretty sure they aren't spanish cedar, but they look nice. Would other types of wood work for our application or hurt things at all? Or I can just go with metal shelving and get some boxes from the local b&m for storage?
It doesn't matter if you don't get spanish cedar, the important aspects of a wineador are it keeps your stash cool, and the cooler is airtight so it helps maintain the rH. But the thing about spanish cedar is that it's uniquely suited to help regulate the rH, and the aroma complements cigar flavors. Any other fragrant wood will ruin the cigars. metal racks are fine to use though, and boxes from the B&M will help. You want as much spanish cedar in there as you can get, if possible. But again, not strictly necessary as long as you have enough of some sort of medium in there to regulate the rh (Bovedas, beads, KL, etc). I had a 12-bottle for just boxes for a while. A bag of beads was all I had in there, no extra spanish cedar shelving or anything, and it worked great.

Still just tossing around the idea and may just keep buying tupperware for my expanding collection in the mean time. Thanks brothers, have a great weekend!
Again, if your collection is expanding, I'd recommend larger than a 12bottle. Get your wife a nice 12-bottle wine cooler, and buy yourself a large cooler. Once you've been at it for a while and figure out how big or small your collection will be long-term, then buy a nice wine cooler that will hold it all.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good idea on getting her a separate small one, I have seen a few on CL for the cheap. I'm glad to know that the other wood won't matter or take away from anything, as long as it doesn't smell. Will keep everyone updated if I decide to go through with this. Will be hunting CL for a unit before summer gets in full swing down here.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Just beware of the slippery slope. I bought my first, then wife said mine was nicer than hers. She got a new one out of that. I then bought my second, and again she got another. i hide my third cooler at work. Thinking long term I just want 2 250 bottle coolers. One for her and convert the other to cigar storage.

Mike

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Just beware of the slippery slope.
^^ THIS ^^

depending on what your intentions are... you might find out quickly that an 18 bottle isnt enough..

I loved my little 12 bottle cooler that I had set up... but... I VERY QUICKLY outgrew it.. (went from a medium sized desktop and a couple of tupperadores to a wineador... thinking it took me 15 years to need "expansion" space.. this will give me more space than I will ever fill..... and in less than 12 months.. I found myself working on a DIY cabinet project because I had almost doubled the stash (again).. )...

I'm thinking about setting up another small wineador now.. maybe a 12 or an 18 bottle unit.. just for stuff I know I want to lay down for a long period of time..

but that will be in ADDITION to the tower type cabinet I ended up building.. collecting/hoarding habits are easy to form if you hang around here too much.. :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
too late.. I already own a winecooler... :)

Im just trying to decide how fancy I want to get with the set up (simple shelves and a tray or two... or go the drawers route, etc..)...

Even got an active humidification system for it already on hand as well....

and plenty of cigars to fill it with...

I am GOOD

:)

Even thought about rigging up the 48 qt cooler I have out in the garage as an alternative...

All the "gear" is already in place...

Just going through the decision making process now :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol I have a desktop that I got for Christmas, I just setup a tupperware last month and now I'm ready to move up again. I will look into a bigger option to see what I can find, thanks for all the feedback. I will just put some empty boxes in there to take up the empty space. Down the rabbit hole I go!

If I do go dual zone, I found a 21 bottle that looks to be exactly what I want. http://www.winecoolerdirect.com/twr215ess-edgestar-21-bottle-dual-zone-wine-cooler/TWR215ESS.html?cgid=Wine_Refrigerators-6_27_Bottle_Wine_Refrigerators

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Beware the slope indeed!

Three years ago, I started my Wineador setup with a 16bottle that was lovely and perfectly large, I thought it was the be-all, end-all solution:

But then I expanded to a 28bottle that "would always be large enough..."

...as long as I eventually added a 12 bottle for boxes...

...And a pair of coolers for overflow...

My point is, I went from one 16-bottle to this:

...And this...

...so plan ahead for expansion. :)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow Ninja thanks for the warning on what I am in for (like everyone else said too) lol I am still fresh into this hobby and I think that I will be set with an 18 to start. Wife just said that she doesn't want the top part, sooooooo that means I am shopping just for cigar storage! Victory! I will have a wineador in the next few weeks. Thanks for all your input guys.