What's new

thinking about getting this humidor

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks great. Everything I've ever heard about foam humidifiers is they are mold factories. I would think Boveda, Heart Felt Beads or silica kitty litter. Just make sure you don't post any pictures of it after you get it full of sticks. I don't know if I can stand the strain. lol Congrats. Good for you brother.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I would personnally spend that kind of money towards a wine fridge instead... but it does look good.

Humidification wise I'd ditch what they supply as it is likely green sponges. Those sucks big time. Get KL or beads. It works two way and is easier and more effective.
Or boveda. Put in and forget.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
It's not the style of furniture that I like personally but, if it fits your decor, go for it. While I agree from a practical standpoint that, for the same price, you should look at a wine fridge, it also heavily depends on where you're going to put it. You may not want a wine fridge in your living room or family room but this piece may go perfectly.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I'd like to add that you probably won't be able to trust the front mount hydrometer. Glass fronts are always a concern as well, if not done right.
Good points, Dave.
From the pic of it with the door open, it doesn't look like it seals but the door just rests against the Spanish cedar lining. If any of that wood warps, it will leak air like I do after feasting at White Castle!
It may not, but be prepared to do some work on it afterward to ensure a good seal

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Beads, definitely beads. Not that I currently use beads, but I'm going to make the switch soon.

Everyone says spend the money on a wine cooler, but my personal opinion is that if you've got a place that's relatively stable in temperature, a cabinet humidor is the way to go if you're going to have a display piece. My wife and I keep our house a constant 64 to 66 degrees all year round.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Everyone says spend the money on a wine cooler, but my personal opinion is that if you've got a place that's relatively stable in temperature, a cabinet humidor is the way to go if you're going to have a display piece. My wife and I keep our house a constant 64 to 66 degrees all year round.
Somewhat agreed. Agreed in that if you have a stable temp, there's no need for temp control, and if you want a display piece, a cooler isn't going to cut it. Personally I like look of a Wineador over a cabinet based on my own room.

If you have an environment that's regulated and maintains a constant temp, there's no issue with having a cabinet. The problem with that cabinet in particular is that -as already mentioned- may require a lot of additional work to make it serviceable.

I'm in the camp that says unless you care about aesthetics, get a cooler. If you care, get a Wineador, or if you really want a cabinet, save until you can get a good quality one.

Personally, I'd skip this one.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This is a beautiful humidor. I have the green foam inserts on my humidor and haven't had any problem with mold...yet. KNOCK WOOD. But I have noticed though that it looks like they'll be needing replacement. So I'll be switching over to the beads or gel humidifiers in the near future.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
IMVHO! That seems awfully inexpensive, as in too good to be true inexpensive.

For value, craftsmanship, and an unfailable humidiification system, I would highly recommend an Avallo.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Somewhat agreed. Agreed in that if you have a stable temp, there's no need for temp control, and if you want a display piece, a cooler isn't going to cut it. Personally I like look of a Wineador over a cabinet based on my own room.

If you have an environment that's regulated and maintains a constant temp, there's no issue with having a cabinet. The problem with that cabinet in particular is that -as already mentioned- may require a lot of additional work to make it serviceable.

I'm in the camp that says unless you care about aesthetics, get a cooler. If you care, get a Wineador, or if you really want a cabinet, save until you can get a good quality one.

Personally, I'd skip this one.
Yeah, I probably could have expanded my comment. I completely agree with your comments. I like the looks of a wineador that's done nice with shelves, and I've thought about going that route a few times. My three things against a wineador:
  1. It will eventually break down, and need to be replaced. A good quality cabinet will easily last my lifetime.
  2. I don't need something temperature controlled when my house is already controlled. It's not always perfect, but honestly - is a five degree fluctuation on either side of 65 degrees going to matter? I doubt it.
  3. I'm a woodworking hobbyist. I'll take a wood cabinet over a converted wine fridge any day of the week.
I personally wouldn't spend the money on that one, and I'd be reluctant to shell out that much money for anything I can't see in person before I purchase, unless it's from a proven manufacturer.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is a beautiful humidor. I have the green foam inserts on my humidor and haven't had any problem with mold...yet. KNOCK WOOD. But I have noticed though that it looks like they'll be needing replacement. So I'll be switching over to the beads or gel humidifiers in the near future.
My main issue with green foam is that or require even more attention than my kids. Beads are two way humidification system and use a lot less DW over time. Plus its easier to get your correct rh. I used to fight daily with them sponges. Not anymore. Plus they rot...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My main issue with green foam is that or require even more attention than my kids. Beads are two way humidification system and use a lot less DW over time. Plus its easier to get your correct rh. I used to fight daily with them sponges. Not anymore. Plus they rot...
Yeah, I've been checking mine quite often lately because it's winter. The summer isn't bad for me. I do have a drymistat gel tube in the humidor as well and have been noticing I fill that up a hell of a lot less than the foam. Which is why I think I'll be switching sooner than later.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Yeah, I've been checking mine quite often lately because it's winter. The summer isn't bad for me. I do have a drymistat gel tube in the humidor as well and have been noticing I fill that up a hell of a lot less than the foam. Which is why I think I'll be switching sooner than later.
Gel and crystals are already an upgrade.

But try beads or KL (its the same material, different form factor) and you'll never go back. Trust me.

I'd go for KL. Its méga cheap. And only need a bit of getting used to. You don't wet it all. Its two way so need to be about 50% wet... but will be more stable, require less dw, and less attention

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Gel and crystals are already an upgrade.

But try beads or KL (its the same material, different form factor) and you'll never go back. Trust me.

I'd go for KL. Its méga cheap. And only need a bit of getting used to. You don't wet it all. Its two way so need to be about 50% wet... but will be more stable, require less dw, and less attention
I wanted to get the gel jars, but they won't fit as I have drawers which is making me think they won't fit.

Good points on the wineador. Forgot about eventually how they'll break down and possibly would need replacing.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
A couple of years ago I explored lots of different options to expand my cigar storage capacity, and I decided getting a cabinet was the best bet. I looked at several less expensive options that come from China, similar to the model you're looking at. It was pointed out that there might be issues with the seal and that the glass might have to be caulked to prevent it from leaking humidity. About then was when I realized that I shouldn't necessarily be looking for the most cost effective option for a cabinet, but the one that will do the best job storing my cigars and keeping the humidity to my liking, as that is first and foremost the actual point of getting a humidor. Why would I bother putting $2000 worth of cigars at risk in a questionable $200 humidor? Fastforwarding to the end of the story, I ended up with an Aristocrat and couldn't be happier. Here's a thread I made about it a while back: http://www.botl.org/threads/new-aristocrat-humi-mini-tall.67941/ And its not as expensive as you might think, the regular Mini w/o humidification devices starts at $440, for a product that I assure you is of a higher quality then anything from China.

As Clint mentioned you could also look at Avallo and I really think they also make a quality product and anybody who's posted reviews has been more than satisfied. Their cheapest model has a relatively large storage capacity of about 20 boxes, comes with a nice singles drawer and an excellent humidification system, all for $750. My advice would be to go for the gold and not to cheap out.