What's new

Time to retire the afrique?

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Well, I've just about had it. Sealed all the glass where it meets the wood on my Montecristo Afrique and reseasoned the humi for around 10 days, humidity was around 71 when I took out the shot glasses. Placed in my sticks with an ounce of COMPLETELY saturated (read as: 100% clear) beads and humidity got up to around 65 percent. Over the next few days, several beads have become visibly opaque or white, and humidity seems to be steadily dropping by the day.

I've just about had it with this thing: I've tried it all, triple testing my hygrometer, using boveda packets to season, sealing the box with aquarium sealant, everything. Would it be worth buying two more Boveda packets and attempting to season again, this time for 14 days?

At this point, it's looking like this humi isn't going to be suitable for much more than an accessory case. :( So my question now becomes, can anyone recommend a good desktop humidor for around 100 or so cigars? Thanks guys!

Justin

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Have you done the dollar bill test?.........take a dollar bill and shut the lid on it, if it pulls out easy ya don't have a good seal on the lid.

Curmudgeon76

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oldglory,

Yes, I've tried it. The seal on the lid seems fine, but what other BOTLs on here had expressed to me is that the seal where the glass top MEETS the wood might not be good, so I proceeded to seal the interior edges of the top where the glass meets the wood with an odor free sealant. I haven't noticed the situation much improved since doing so though.

Justin