What's new

Tips for reducing RH for Shilala bead users!

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Not sure how many live in a humid area like I do but I have a constant battle with lowering RH rather than raising like most of you mainlanders. Ambient RH here is anywhere between 60-100% and it rains every single day in Hawaii. I've been throwing the beads into refrigerator for up to 8 hours, wait 24hrs to let it come up to room temp, throw them back in for few hours, wait another 24hrs for it to come up to room temp... took forever just to bring it down few percent and I was ready to toss them.

Then I read somewhere about using damprid to reduce humidity in their cabinet humi so I gave it a shot. It was only $2 for a tub of that thing at my local drug store. I put a cup of damprid and a pound of shilala beads in a tupperware and it went from 68% down to 48% overnight. That would've taken days if not weeks with the instructions that came with the beads. No need to wait for the temp to come up.

I recommend DampRid 10000000% for anyone needing to reduce humidity quickly.

Finally my humi is at 60%. Since my temp is around 75-80 I wanted my RH around 58-60 and it seemed impossible until I tried DampRid. Hehe, sounds like a DampRid commercial. No I don't have any interest in the company, lol.

-hawaiian

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Just to clarify, you just used the damprid to adjust the set point of the beads, right? Or are you using it in your humidor?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I used it in both. I put a little cup of damprid in every drawer of my humi since my smokes were probably over humidified. Beads with damprid was in separate container. My humi went down to 58% and the beads were at 48%.
I took all the damprid out of the humi and place the beads back in the drawers. The RH went up few percent before stabilizing since my ambient RH was 75% when I did the swap.
As of this morning my bottom drawer is at 60% and top drawer is at 61%.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great advice! My 65% HF beads were stuck at over 70% RH for nearly three weeks when I first seasoned them before they came down to exactly 65%........I can't imagine living in a higher humidity climate!