What's new

Too Humid

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The humidity in my humidor is way too high right now. I'm trying to figure out how to lower it by 5-8% pretty quickly. Should I just leave the lid open for a few hours or what? Thank you.

Robert

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think we need a bit more information. How was it seasoned? What are you using for humidification? What type of climate are you living in? The RH could drop if you leave the humidor open for a bit, but it may go right back to being too high if your humidor has been seasoned at 84%. It may take a few weeks to get it stable at the spot you want it.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A container of dry rice will absorb excess humidity without adding any bad tastes to the cigars. But you might want to answer the other questions posted here to see if there's anything long-term that you should change about your set-up.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Current spiked up to 75-78% and I want it down between 65-70. Ambient is hard to tell because humidity changes by the hour in Portland haha I seasoned it using the shot glass of 50/50 for a week. I calibrated my hydrometer using the salt method and my humidity has been consistently at 68-70% for the last few months and all of a sudden jumped up high. Maybe I just need to start over haha

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Depending on how big the humidor, some dry crystal kitty litter in an open container will get you to your desired rh in a hurry. The odorless kind of course.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Depending on how big the humidor, some dry crystal kitty litter in an open container will get you to your desired rh in a hurry. The odorless kind of course.
Exactly...I converted over to KL almost 2 years ago and have never looked back. It keeps 24 humidors I have at the RH I want...I only check them once a month and they stay within 1 or 2%..rarely will I have to add DW in the summer and maybe only a couple of times in the winter and Spring.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Ya analogue unfortunately
Go get a digital, use the salt method to calibrate it, and then see where the rh is falling. If you use heartfelt beads or kittly litter you can almost rest assured your going to be right on the nose.

The salt method consists of placing some salt in an open container, anything from a coke lid to a small bowl and then adding enough distilled water to make it wet, not soupy, just wet. You don't want to see water standing on top of the salt but you don't want dry salt on top. Place the hygrometer in the baggie or airtight container with the salt mixture and in 24 hours, no matter what the hygrometer says, the rh is 75. Most analog come with a button you can press that sets them to 75, that's why the baggie works well here.