What's new

Too much humidity in tupper-dor?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've calibrated my hygro a few times and its usually only a point or two off the RH above or below. So I am beginning to worry, since the read shows 80RH+ at 73 degrees. I'm using the gel/ beads that is supposed to regulate humidity at 70% whats going on? If I remove some of the gel/ beads will the RH drop perhaps? Also I do have the bottomlined with spanish cedar.

Thanks in advance,
Champ

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
gel and beads are two different products. What exactly are you using?

Digital or analog hygro?

Recent cigars or ones that were already 70% RH stored or recent store bought?

You can leave the top cracked open a bit to let RH out if you have a correct reading.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the product I'm using say beads, however it is a gel like substance. The product is Madilaine, bought it from JR online.

Its digital

Recent but they have been in there for about 5 days.

No just tossed the cedar in.

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Has the hygro been calibrated? I would also have seasoned that piece of wood before you put it in your tupperdor. However, if the wood wasn't seasoned I would guess that the RH would actually be lower as a result of the wood being thirsty. Can you buy a boveda pak for the time being until you calibrate your hygro.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Pull out the humidifier and let it dry for a bit. I think the problem is you need to run propylene glycol solution not just distilled water. One of the problem with tupperdors is they seal almost too well and so you need a 2 way humidification source similar to heartfelt beads or boveda or glycol solution with the gel. It should work if you switch to one of them.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
All good points so far.
As the last poster pointed out, tupperdors create an airtight seal and do not make for an ideal long term storage device. RH will begin to climb as the gel releases moisture. The gel is a passive device and will not regulate humidity in an active manner such as "real" beads.

I would remove the gel humidification device from the tupperdor and monitor the RH inside for a few days. IF the sticks ar too moist, you may not need to reintroduce the humidification unit for a few days or even a week.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it if its a new humidor and you've just seasoned it, the RH will come down in a day or two if not pull out the beads and let them dry for a bit you may have added too much water.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you have a gel humidifier. it will regulate humidity if you use PG/distilled water solution. that being said, that jar is a bit of overkill for a tupper-dor. 1 Boveda will do the job, with no fuss.